Discuss Bonding tray, basket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Job I'm on at moment they using basket, tray and trunking... They using a bit of every thing throughout a cable runs ie jumping from tray to basket then into trunking. None of it actually joining do the have to bond the containment even tho not joined. Cable type used is yy.

In my opinion, if it's carrying any cable at a voltage higher than 50v, which isn't SWA, MICC or PILC, then it should be earthed. If not, then it's not needed.
it is still common practice to earth it anyway, and many specifications (including the one I work to) call for any metallic containment to be bonded to the MET

Well that's why I throw the question up as it's not continuous ...

In other words, the whole installation has just been thrown up willy nilly to fit. Seems to be par for the course these days!! I take it this is the supermarket job, that they want in operation and selling goods yesterday!! lol!!

Sounds a total lash up.
it should be earthed anyway IMHO.I was on a job years ago where the tray work would start one way then not join and then be fixed upside down etc a total mess.
the consultant came in and said it was installed to a high standard!....while picking up his brown envelope no doubt.
how hard is it to put it in correctly in a new job?

I'm use to faculty maintenance in government sites, money obv no problem. The only way I can see them doing it is running separate earths to each..

Someone with a weath of experience on MEWP ??? will get the job to earth link all the tray / basket near the end of the job when it's snagged.

They're fighting schedules, the cable has to on the tray whilst there's plenty of room to move MEWPs.

I ain't slating anyone as we'll see as the job goes on someone could drop back..

If everything is hanged grippil wire on perlins which in turn are fixes to main beams . I take it this will need earthed too..

If it's all fixed together, how would you access how many and where needs bonded. Just asking cause I don't know

Reference numbers are from the BGB.
412.2.4.1 Does the cable have a non-conductive sheath then it's ok.......generally, the conductive parts of a metal cable tray or basket need not be earthed. Some conductive parts of a metal cable support system may be earthed, however by virtue of fortutious contact with exposed-conductive-parts.
543.2.2 if your using the tray as an earth path then it needs to be connected to earth.
411.3.1.2 If the tray can introduce a potential from outside the location then bond to earth.

Reference numbers are from the BGB.
412.2.4.1 Does the cable have a non-conductive sheath then it's ok.......generally, the conductive parts of a metal cable tray or basket need not be earthed. Some conductive parts of a metal cable support system may be earthed, however by virtue of fortutious contact with exposed-conductive-parts.
543.2.2 if your using the tray as an earth path then it needs to be connected to earth.
411.3.1.2 If the tray can introduce a potential from outside the location then bond to earth.

Just goes to show how even the regulation standards have dropped over the years!!

I would'nt even dream of leaving a metal containmeent system that's carring LV or MV cables unearthed, and never have....

continuous!!

^^^ This !!!

a sign of of a quality install is all metal containment with no jumps / gaps / breaks !
which also has the added benefit of not needing to fit millions of individual earth tags and provides a much superior cpc if needed.

should look like something i knocked up on my last big project.............

Photo005.jpg
Photo007.jpg
Photo028.jpg
Photo025.jpg

Reply to Bonding tray, basket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net