Discuss Cable tray or basket for Domestic install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI
I am thinking of using steel cable tray or or basket with a cover for a vertical in a domestic garage to the consumer unit. I am looking at this solution because clipping to wall is no longer particularly viable due to number of cables and the damage past clips have already done to the wall plus the cables could be damaged as they are in the garage/ workshop.

Trunking would be neat but I am aware that some circuits are quite heavily loaded,
one ring for kitchen and utility,
large induction cooker,
immersion (not used very often but theoretically significant)
and likely at least one EV charger in the next couple of years I need to be aware of cable grouping factors.

Trunking would be ok at the moment but I feel that once EV charging is added to the equation some ventilation would be very useful.

I am thinking along the lines that perforated cable trays or baskets would be a good solution. It's possible to buy plastic cable tray with covers but that's quite expensive. I was looking at metal cable trays but covers don't appear to be available, maybe when a cover is required another tray is turned upside down and put on top? if this is the solution whats the best way to secure it?

I can see cable baskets come with covers, any reason I can't use baskets on a vertical run secured to a wall?

By the way are there any books or web sites you can recommend that cover cable management installation in detail. Things like on site guides, BS7671, guidance notes don't appear to cover this area in much detail.

Thanks

HI
I am thinking of using steel cable tray or or basket with a cover for a vertical in a domestic garage to the consumer unit. I am looking at this solution because clipping to wall is no longer particularly viable due to number of cables and the damage past clips have already done to the wall plus the cables could be damaged as they are in the garage/ workshop.

Trunking would be neat but I am aware that some circuits are quite heavily loaded,
large induction cooker,
and likely at least one EV charger in the next couple of years I need to be aware of cable grouping factors.

Trunking would be ok at the moment but I feel that once EV charging is added to the equation some ventilation would be very useful.

I am thinking along the lines that perforated cable trays or baskets would be a good solution. It's possible to buy plastic cable tray with covers but that's quite expensive. I was looking at metal cable trays but covers don't appear to be available, maybe when a cover is required another tray is turned upside down and put on top? if this is the solution whats the best way to secure it?

I can see cable baskets come with covers, any reason I can't use baskets on a vertical run secured to a wall?

By the way are there any books or web sites you can recommend that cover cable management installation in detail. Things like on site guides, BS7671, guidance notes don't appear to cover this area in much detail.

Thanks
What cable type will you be using?

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about grouping factors in this instance. If you look at the expected usage of the circuits I doubt very much they'll be at any significant load together at any time, have a feel and see how hot the cables are at the minute under normal load conditions.

I've thrown long runs of basket into premium domestic new-builds before where there's been lots of lighting radials and data-comms to contend with. If it's a vertical run, wouldn't tray be quicker and cheaper?

HI

large induction cooker,

Thanks
Why not, if there a lot of cable on a run, it doesn't make sense to try and clip them all.

You could even run two or three vertical drops of plastic trunking [perhaps 25mm x 40mm commonly referred to at MT or YT4] and spread the potentially high current circuits between them. That should also provide sufficient space factor and it would be a neat and low cost solution.

large induction cooker,

As others have said, use regular galv trunking but not too full. If depth is a problem, consider using floor trunking.

I was looking at metal cable trays but covers don't appear to be available

Reply to Cable tray or basket for Domestic install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net