Discuss Brave New World in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

basejumper31

Hi!

I'm here seeking advice (no surprise lol).

I have decided that I am going to pursue a distance learning course in order to get my level 3 NVQ 2356, and qualify as an electrician. I work full time and as such distance learning is the only option available to me.

I have a little prior experience with electrics, but haven't ventured into the field for over a decade. So I literally know nothing. However I'm a fast learner and very enthusiastic about this new direction.

I contacted a company today over the phone, who are offering distance learning for the NVQ 3 including about 250 hrs of self study, 10 practical workshops, and guaranteeing that they would find me a placement with a company to shadow a qualified electrician for, I think, 25 hours, or 25 days, something like that, in order to complete the NVQ3. One of their reps is coming to meet me tomorrow to talk about the course in more detail.

The cost of the course is about £6000. I am wondering how competitive/reasonable this price is. They allow a 'pay as you go' option, and even a finance option, which would be the only way I could afford to do this.

I am super keen to get started asap! And yet I'm trying not to rush into this too quickly and make mistakes in terms of how to go about getting qualified.. But I can see there are a lot of companies out there offering distance learning, I've been in touch with a few others and am waiting to hear back from them to see how they compare price-wise to the company I spoke to today.

I guess other advice I'm seeking is, do people know of any good, independent knowledge-base type resources where I can go to get informed, impartial advice about embarking on the road to becoming an electrician?

The guy from the company I spoke to today said that I could get the NVQ3 under my belt in around a year to a year and a half, at which point I'd be a qualified electrician, and can start work! However he's obviously trying to sell the course, and I wondered what people's reactions to this statement would be.. how realistic is this? Does this mean I'd have a JIB card at the end of it?

I realise there will be hurdles and bottlenecks, and I need to find out what they are!

There seems to be a lot of electrical work / jobs advertised on many online job sites, so I take it there's a healthy demand for electricians out there, and finding work, once qualified, shouldn't be too impossible, right?!

Lastly - I know there's a number of questions and points I've raised here, am happy if people want to just answer one point or something, I know I need to do my own research as well, and I am, I just thought there's no harm in asking for opinions and suggested directions from others who have walked the road before me.

Thanks for reading :)

there's plenty of opinions on numerous threads regarding 'short courses'. cost wise, you can attend night school 2 evenings per week for 2yrs (not much longer than your predicted timescale) for about 20% of that £6000. also, 25 days free labour placement will probably be with one of their previous distance learners. I think it would be wise to do more research before signing up. all the best

Thanks Jaypp. Unfortunately due to my job, I can't do evening classes. I work 3 weeks, 7 days a week, and then have 2 weeks off, so I think distance learning is really the only option for me. However perhaps there are other distance learning providers who are cheaper than the once I've heard back from so far. I will make sure to find out a few different quotes before signing up to anything, for sure.

The trouble you may find with the NVQ is where you get the hands-on experience from? Are this company going to provide you with the opportunities for it or do you have to find them yourself?

Badged, I think the hands-on comes from the workshops, of which there are 10 (between 1 and 3 days long) and the placement shadowing a qualified electrician (albeit perhaps a previous learner, as Jaypp said above).

The way the guy explained it on the phone today, was that whereas some people do two evenings a week at college, which maybe amounts to say 6 hours a week, the workshops offered by this training provider last all day from 9am to 4.30pm, so that's 7.5 hours, and if it was a three-day workshop, that's 22.5 hrs, in one go.

So apparently I would still notch up a lot of hours of hands-on, albeit in bursts, rather than more gradually as it would happen via an evening course.

the 2yr night school is 75% theory, practical just shows how you 'should' do it (connect/terminate) and a booth is not really giving true experience. I, like you, had previous experience 15yrs prior (about 3yrs and was left on jobs) and considered short courses. Glad the price put me off!!! I think you'd be better to get experience working part of your 2wk 'off' and maybe earning rather than paying to get experience in a controlled environment. you may, after a while, be a good enough 'mate' to do f/t and attend night school (obviously i don't know your income but, if your looking at this i guess it's not 6 figures:))

Jaypp, thanks for your reply. But I'm a bit confused as to what you're actually saying here. If night school is 75% theory, doesn't that add credence to the notion of distance learning? I.e. it seems that you're saying that practical experience is not terrifically important. Also, what's a booth? is that what you go into/sit at when at night school?
In terms of what you mention about work experience - I have already made enquiries with a friend of mine who is an electrician (even though he doesn't work in the field any more) about anyone he knows who I could shadow during my two week periods off work. So would it not be possible to combine work experience and distance learning? (assuming I can find a course with a more reasonable fee.. I've since seen others which are cheaper than £6k)

My income certainly is not 6 figures no lol

Thanks again for your feedback

your welcome basej. i guess what i was trying to say was, 6k to teach yourself at home + give someone a few weeks free labour + practical experience in a booth(e) (cubicle with mdf/ply to learn skills) is expensive. I'm not saying don't do it, just research more. personally, having considered similar myself, i wouldn't. that's about all the advice i can give. there's a trainee section you may want to request access to for other opinions. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
So.. having done some more research, I can see two possible routes in terms of getting qualified as an electrician, AND coming out of it with what one training provider I spoke to called "a solid foundation" i.e. not just a bit of paper and no (or very very little) experience.

Firstly - I'm in touch with a company who are offering the 2357 diploma with 250 hrs self study, 10 workshops (each between one and three days long) and they also provide me a placement working under a qualified electrician in the field, in order to get the experience based part of the NVQ. They charge around £6k for this. they also throw into the bundle further training, including solar installations etc, further down the line.

The other option is a company which offer the NVQ, ordinarily to people already working in the field (i.e. an electrician's mate) but they don't offer any workshops, nor placement in the field. However, I have a friend who is an electrician, who has kindly said to me that I can follow him and shadow him in his work (which, due to my work commitments, would be for one week a month). This latter training provider expressed some concern that my experience in the field needs to be significant, and wondered whether a week per month would be sufficient to satisfy the practical requirements of the NVQ at level 3. This training provider also suggested that instead of the 2357 that I ought to first complete the theoretical 2365, whilst shadowing my friend, and then later move on to the full level 3 NVQ. I am guessing this would be the longer of the two routes. (However I'm coming to realize speed is not of the essence in terms of getting qualified, rather it seems getting a good foundation is more important. After all what would be the good of getting the qualification and then finding I didn't know how to do the job!) Although I don't have exact figures yet, this option is apparently a great deal cheaper than £6k, reflecting the fact that they don't provide workshops or any placement I suppose.

Evening courses at a local college are, sadly, not an option for me, due to my work pattern (I'm a live-in carer, I work 24 hours a day for three weeks in a row, and then I have two weeks off, and so on).

On the other hand, the first training provider I mentioned above argues that doing the level 2 and then level 3 is a unnecessarily costly and lengthy way of going about getting qualified.

My friend that is a working electrician, I am hoping, if I dedicated enough time shadowing him, and proved I was worthwhile as an assistant, might just take me on at some point. But there's no guarantee of that.

I wondered if anyone might have any thoughts about these two options, or about which of the two might be the best route for me to take.

I have seen C+G2365 distance learning courses for 1400 for lv2 and 1500 for lv3 and that was just a quick look. The NVQ3 can be had for £700 but you really need to be in the trade to accumulate the evidence for this I believe. Ultimately there is no substitute for experience and the world of electrical installation bears no resemblance to a training provider's workshop.

..I have also now been in touch with a third training provider, who is offering the following for around £2k:

Part P EAL Domestic Electrical Installer - full scope
17th Edition of the IIE Wiring regulations C&G 2382
Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing 2392-10
Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations 2391-10

The advisor offering this package said it would be possible to complete these qualifications in a couple of months, and that I would then be ready to go and start work. I mentioned that other training providers offering the 2365 or 2357 and so on estimated a minimum training time of a year and a half, depending upon experience gained etc. However the advisor mentioned above in this post said that the NVQ is merely a confirmation of capabilities, whereas the C&G certificates are actual qualifications which would make me ready to begin work immediately.

Two months seems incredibly optimistic to me. However, I am the new guy here, hence why I'm posting this, wondering what others think.

I am now starting to think that the best way forward (given that every training provider I speak to has a different opinion about what I ought to do) is to get in touch with a practicing electrician, volunteer my time for free, get a feel of the job, what it's like, and see what they would advise.

Nevertheless, still very much welcome feedback from anyone here as to their opinions on the above.

Just to re-iterate, evening classes at college are not an option for me due to my current work situation.

Also - I'd really appreciate it if someone could advise me as to how I can request access to the training section of this site. I emailed the webmaster but to no avail. Apparently there are many threads there which would be of use to me.

As ever, thanks for reading

So.. having done some more research, I can see two possible routes in terms of getting qualified as an electrician, AND coming out of it with what one training provider I spoke to called "a solid foundation" i.e. not just a bit of paper and no (or very very little) experience.

Firstly - I'm in touch with a company who are offering the 2357 diploma with 250 hrs self study, 10 workshops (each between one and three days long) and they also provide me a placement working under a qualified electrician in the field, in order to get the experience based part of the NVQ. They charge around £6k for this. they also throw into the bundle further training, including solar installations etc, further down the line.

The other option is a company which offer the NVQ, ordinarily to people already working in the field (i.e. an electrician's mate) but they don't offer any workshops, nor placement in the field. However, I have a friend who is an electrician, who has kindly said to me that I can follow him and shadow him in his work (which, due to my work commitments, would be for one week a month). This latter training provider expressed some concern that my experience in the field needs to be significant, and wondered whether a week per month would be sufficient to satisfy the practical requirements of the NVQ at level 3. This training provider also suggested that instead of the 2357 that I ought to first complete the theoretical 2365, whilst shadowing my friend, and then later move on to the full level 3 NVQ. I am guessing this would be the longer of the two routes. (However I'm coming to realize speed is not of the essence in terms of getting qualified, rather it seems getting a good foundation is more important. After all what would be the good of getting the qualification and then finding I didn't know how to do the job!) Although I don't have exact figures yet, this option is apparently a great deal cheaper than £6k, reflecting the fact that they don't provide workshops or any placement I suppose.

Evening courses at a local college are, sadly, not an option for me, due to my work pattern (I'm a live-in carer, I work 24 hours a day for three weeks in a row, and then I have two weeks off, and so on).

On the other hand, the first training provider I mentioned above argues that doing the level 2 and then level 3 is a unnecessarily costly and lengthy way of going about getting qualified.

My friend that is a working electrician, I am hoping, if I dedicated enough time shadowing him, and proved I was worthwhile as an assistant, might just take me on at some point. But there's no guarantee of that.

I wondered if anyone might have any thoughts about these two options, or about which of the two might be the best route for me to take.

Hi basej. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I have to agree with johnuk as you probably know already! For access, try sending a personal message to Marvo or another administrator, introducing yourself and briefly explaining why you would like 'said access'. Your situation sounds unique, but I must suggest trying to find someone who can give honest, impartial advice, suited to your needs/situation. Almost everyone working as an electrician will tell you there's no fast route, and I guess your friend will agree. Again, good luck

Your last option there is not really one that is recognised outside of the self certification schemes.
The ideal route is to either work toward your 2365 and at the end of that transfer to the 2357 to complete your NVQ3 and AM2 or
take the 2357 directly.

Because of your work schedule you may find distance learning to be the only practical approach. However distance learning can come with some difficulties as there can be a lack of support compared to a class of students, so you would need to be up to speed as you go along.
(Obviously you can ask on this forum in the training section for help as you go along.)

The other problem with the distance learning and with completing the NVQ is, as mentioned previously, the practical aspects, the NVQ really does need you to be in some form of employment,preferably with a range of installation techniques, so that you can complete the portfolio. Also the booth training is limited in the scope of what it can tell you about real world electrical work, but it does let you practice the electrical connections side of things (though this is a small part of the whole job).

The opportunities for electricians are not as widely available as you think, as you may notice from some of the threads on here.
I would try to see if any colleges have remote access learning opportunities (not very common) and would try to ensure that you are not paying over the odds comparing to the cost of the other options that you cannot follow.

The choice of provider is a difficult one and if you are thinking of one in particular have a search on the forum (but keep an eye on the dates of posts) and see if there is some feedback about them.
Most of them will promise anything, but they are not all bad.

Good luck and do not be down heartened by this post, there are ways to get there and to get the preferred qualifications.

Thanks HappyHippyDad!!

I am going to enquire with them about the lvl 2 2365 because I don't have a proper pre-existing knowledge, and I want to ensure I'm not rushing ahead. But I'll aim to go on to the 2365 lvl 3 afterwards, and that would still be cheaper than other providers I've been in touch with.

Very helpful and inspiring! Even they say it can be completed by those who are not working in the field, which is perfect for me. I will start shadowing a friend (who is a qualified electrician) and try to get my 'foot in the door' in the mean time in terms of practical experience and who knows, maybe get offered a part-time or full-time paid role if I demonstrate I'm useful, reliable and keen.

Many thanks again for the link.

A lot of companies don't like distance learning or EAL qualifications. If you start trying to call the shots by saying this that and the other is not an option you might find it restricts your employment prospects.
When I started training I was in a similar situation - I couldn't get the time off work for college, so I left my job and got a part time job in a restaurant until I could get paid work in the industry. When I did start work it was agency site work, which there seem to be the most jobs in. Again, restricting yourself to jobbing around in a van will severely reduce your employment prospects to the point where you'll be looking at setting up your own business, finding your own customers and competing with guys with many years' experience (not to mention the others who have got the same idea as you), having just read about how to do electrical work in a book and 'shadowed' some guy for free for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your input Adam.

Fair comment. Perhaps that's a route I should consider. Can I ask how you went about getting qualified though? Did you eventually get taken on by a firm, or study at college while you were temping? If so, where did you go from there?

Reply to Brave New World in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net