Discuss British Doolex 50A Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Moved into a new house and knew it needed electrical work. We're going to get an electrician in to take this old switch out, but does anyone know how old it is, or who it was made by? I haven't found much about it using Google, but I'm not really sure exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_111307.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210524_111233.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210524_111238.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Is it actually still in service? Hard to be exact but definitely looks like it's got PILC/esque feed in and tails running behind the board to that Henley?? If so, that's one for the DNO to sort out.

Does the incoming cable at the bottom disappear down into the ground? And no other connections to the switch?

Edit: RockingIt bet me to it!

Yes, it needs replacing and yes that's a job for your DNO to do and not your domestic sparks - but - isn't it nice to see something that got installed that long ago still in service and going strong?!

Yes, it needs replacing and yes that's a job for your DNO to do and not your domestic sparks - but - isn't it nice to see something that got installed that long ago still in service and going strong?!

It is indeed. Good lifespan that.

Appreciate the answers! Will get on the phone to Northern Power Grid this afternoon.

Would love to keep using it for something in the house/garden, provided it isn't damaged while it's being removed. Any ideas on how it could be repurposed safely as a decorative outdoor light switch or doorbell or something?

Appreciate the answers! Will get on the phone to Northern Power Grid this afternoon.

Would love to keep using it for something in the house/garden, provided it isn't damaged while it's being removed. Any ideas on how it could be repurposed safely as a decorative outdoor light switch or doorbell or something?

Great idea. Shame to bin it. I would recommend using it at extra low voltage though.

If you don't end up using it then @Lucien will no doubt be interested for his museum.

You'll need to wrestle it off the DNO fitter first!! If they're happy to give it to you then any competent sparks could modify it to just be a switch

What are the letters on the bottom? BCED??

Yup, many cutouts and boards have the name of the electricity company cast or engraved into them, and a fair few had isolators. The brand name is Coolex (not Doolex) made by the United Electrical Co. in the 1930s. The design is partially modeled on a 30A switchfuse with the body the 'wrong' way up so that the isolator is above the fuses instead of below. In that era many manufacturers still used the slim case with the bulge over the switch shaft. In time most adopted the flat-fronted case. I have a catalogue listing Coolex switchgear but I can't recall whether it includes heads and cutouts.

As a lot of people have pointed out, we have an interest in these things at the museum and they are hard to pin down at the point where the DNO actually takes them off the wall. Sometimes they get irretrievably broken in the process, sometimes the DNO people won't let them out of their sight because of the possible asbestos content, but occasionally they can be convinced simply to forget to take it, possibly with the aid of beer tokens. If you decide you don't want to make a gadget out of it I would be very keen to convert it back into beer tokens for you and make it part of one of our displays on a mock-up of a vintage electrical installation. I might be persuaded to trade it for a real vintage light switch or something more directly useful. We have a couple of Coolex items already but not DNO gear.

It looked a lot like a 'D' to me!

Thanks everyone for all the help, especially @Lucien for that detailed answer. If I don't end up using it then I'll definitely let you know. Northern Power Grid are sending someone out to have a look next week and I've asked if they'll let me keep it. The guy on the phone said he'll make a note, but it's best to just ask the engineer as was suggested here. Fingers crossed.

Reply to British Doolex 50A Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net