Discuss Building control self cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

If I aren’t part of one of 2 schemes is it possible to notify building control of your work?

If I’m fully qualified and competent in installation and inspection and testing, can I issue a EIC with test results directly to building control without paying a fee and having an inspector come out?

Does anybody here have experience of this?

Cheers

For a few years after this nonsense started building control used common sense and would let the likes of me issue certificates that they would accept. Last one I issued was about seven years ago, just before I 'retired.'

For a few years after this nonsense started building control used common sense and would let the likes of me issue certificates that they would accept. Last one I issued was about seven years ago, just before I 'retired.'
That’s what I was thinking. Did they charge you a fee for this?

Cheers

Its all very random , before I was part pee vetted I managed to get my local BC to accept a EI cert direct from me for a couple small extensions. But this was possibly 7 or 8 years ago now. They didn't come out to inspect just wanted a photo copy of a cert and then issued the home owners with their completion cert

no idea if you can do it this way anymore , but might be worth calling your local BC

No charge. The only time it didn't work (which I mentioned in a post yesterday), was when a state of war existed between building control and the owner of the property, so the building inspector was causing as much aggro as possible.

From time to time someone posts on here that they have building control accept their certificates instead of notification via a scheme. I suspect it depends on (a) the local authority concerned, and (b) whether they judge you competent.

I think in some places, building control wouldn't know what a certificate should even look like, never mind whether it is correctly completed. When I notify via my scheme, the BC don't usually actually see the certificate (unless rarely it has been requested e.g. as part of documentation for a large project). So much so that they probably hope nobody tries to submit one to them.

I have come across a local authority that also tries to discourage anyone trying to notify direct with an inspection and a fee, because they have no expertise. So they set the fee as high as they can justify to try and disuade anyone from trying.

In summary, you can try asking.

Its all very random , before I was part pee vetted I managed to get my local BC to accept a EI cert direct from me for a couple small extensions. But this was possibly 7 or 8 years ago now. They didn't come out to inspect just wanted a photo copy of a cert and then issued the home owners with their completion cert

no idea if you can do it this way anymore , but might be worth calling your local BC

Yeah true, I will give them a call Monday. Having a mare with Napit, called July 21 and asked if I could join, they said yes. Left my last job after 10 years to go self employed in November, set the business up in December and tried to join. They told me I can’t join because my NVQ3 isn’t on their list from the update in September 21, after confirming I’m more than competent I just can’t join the “competent” persons scheme?

Just trying to figure out my options when it comes to notifying BC? As at the minute I’m limited to work I can undertake.

From time to time someone posts on here that they have building control accept their certificates instead of notification via a scheme. I suspect it depends on (a) the local authority concerned, and (b) whether they judge you competent.

I think in some places, building control wouldn't know what a certificate should even look like, never mind whether it is correctly completed. When I notify via my scheme, the BC don't usually actually see the certificate (unless rarely it has been requested e.g. as part of documentation for a large project). So much so that they probably hope nobody tries to submit one to them.

I have come across a local authority that also tries to discourage anyone trying to notify direct with an inspection and a fee, because they have no expertise. So they set the fee as high as they can justify to try and disuade anyone from trying.

In summary, you can try asking.

Yes I can see the issue there with regards to them not knowing if it’s been completed satisfactory or correct. Also explains the high fees for inspectors or 3rd party on site.

I will give them a call Monday, was just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Cheers

Reply to Building control self cert in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net