Discuss Building control confusion!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bsharp

-
Reaction score
Had a lovely conversation/argument with building control this morning, the scenario is this,
Completed job (4 flat rewire) EIC’s sent to client as normal, building control notification done via NICEIC portal, all good (you’d hope)
Then received email from client (the architect) to inform me that the CERTS would not suffice as I quote “were not registered with building control” I contacted building control who informed me that all CERTIFICATES must be registered with building control within 30days of job completion, I attempted to explain that he meant building control (himself) must be notified of any works that have been carried out within 30days of completion and that EIC certificates (or any electrical certificates for that matter) are for myself to retain a copy and the client to receive a copy. This is below the response.

QUOTE.
“Although ——- is a registered competent electrician, under Part P it’s is a requirement that the electrical certificates are registered (in this case with NICEIC) within 30 days of the completion date with a Building Control compliance certificate issued by NICEIC with a copy forwarded to Building Control, I believe this is also a requirement by NICEIC as part of their rules. Please find below extract from Part P for reference.
Although ———- has confirmed over the phone that he has notified the certificates with Building Control this is not the case. I’ve just spoken to NICEIC where ———- has notified the certificate via the NICEIC portal this morning the notification is yet to reach us and will only reach from mid-night tonight.”
END QUOTE

As far as I was aware we don’t register certificates with anybody we simply supply certs and then certify our own work as compliant. I’m fed up if building control confusing EIC and building control notification. Has any one else had issues with them??

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you issued a EIC to the client but within the 30 days after dating the EIC you haven't notified Part P and only did it on the last day which according to Building Control will make the notification out of the 30 days notice? Is that correct?

I'm wondering - were BC already involved and the electrical work formed part of a larger job? For example, was it conversion into 4 flats?
If so the job specification for the client sometimes says "EIC to be supplied upon completion", and in these circumstances it can be that BC want it on file themselves.
I had one like this which was a loft conversion and the building inspector actually said "don't notify it via your scheme, I need the certificate myself."

I have had the same as @timhoward, full planning permission granted for a huge extension, the cert went directly to the customer and building control. No need to notify it online as it was covered under the full planning application.
I notify my jobs within 30 days of me issuing the cert as that is when I class the job as finished. Never had any problems with BC or Stroma/ Napit!

Box tickers the lot of them Just ignore them you issued the Cert and done the building control bit

If a couple of days late what's the big deal never heard of anyone getting removed or fined for this.

All the CPS just want your money every year

Thats my Take on it tin hat on

Not sure whats being asked here, but.

When I had my business, I would send completed EIC to client, and use the Schemes software to notify BC (i.e. didn't send BC a cert).

Having just converted my garage, sparks sent me the certs, and notified BC for me. However, BC wanted copies of EIC, and gas cert, before they would supply me with a their Completion of Works Certificate.

It's all a job creation scheme, we will soon get as bad as the rest of European where you can't be sacked no matter how incompetent you are.

While it might catch us unawares I don't think this is quite as silly as it's being made out to be.
If you think about it the concept of "notification" via a scheme's portal is nonsensical if BC already know about the work and are routinely inspecting the job.
As @Midwest said they usually want the EIC so they can tick the box that says all relevant parts of building regs were complied with. From my point of view it's not a bad thing that they want to see the EIC, it at least filters out cowboys who wouldn't know where to start completing one. The only way we are affected as sparks is if we didn't realise it was one of these situations, and then either the customer has enough sense to submit the EIC or you have to. It hasn't ever been a huge drama.

But we haven't heard back from the OP that it is indeed one of these situations. @Bsharp feel free to correct/update us.

I have had a couple of times where the building inspector has asked me to send the notification direct to his email address as he claims it can take up to 3 weeks for him to receive it via NIC portal and he wants to sign off the whole job for the builder and not have to wait 3 weeks.I don't know what the NIC are doing with the certs for 3 weeks.Maybe they only send them all out on block every 3 weeks? Mad....

While it might catch us unawares I don't think this is quite as silly as it's being made out to be.
If you think about it the concept of "notification" via a scheme's portal is nonsensical if BC already know about the work and are routinely inspecting the job.
As @Midwest said they usually want the EIC so they can tick the box that says all relevant parts of building regs were complied with. From my point of view it's not a bad thing that they want to see the EIC, it at least filters out cowboys who wouldn't know where to start completing one. The only way we are affected as sparks is if we didn't realise it was one of these situations, and then either the customer has enough sense to submit the EIC or you have to. It hasn't ever been a huge drama.

But we haven't heard back from the OP that it is indeed one of these situations. @Bsharp feel free to correct/update us.
Hi Tim, thanks for your input and apologise for not getting back to this thread earlier, COVID!!!
As you say it’s not a bad thing at all, the main issue I had with BC was that they themselves seems confused about the paperwork (well that’s how it came across anyway) it appears that the architect had “promised” the main that the job would be “signed off” so as defects notice could start etc etc. obviously BC can only sign jobs off when all paperwork was in place as the building control notification had only been submitted that day then they wouldn’t sign off the work, all though everything was done with in plenty off time it seems I was in the middle off a war or wills between BC and architect to which I wasn’t aware. So in conclusion all was good and we all had a merry Christmas. 😂

Reply to Building control confusion!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net