Discuss Certificate Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a home owner and our builder has completed a garage conversion with the electrician installing a new 4 way distribution board. The electrician has now gone completely silent, does not answer phone, email, text and appears to have left his address. We need a certificate for building control, so we need another electrician to provide this. How much would this cost? We are in the SL6 postcode area.
Regards

As westward said, only the electrician who installed it can provide an installation certificate and a building control notification certificate.
If this is not possible, then you can ask the building control officer if they will accept an EICR (electrical installation condition report), which you will have to pay an electrician to complete.
Prices for this vary depending on location.

On the other hand, if the builder engaged the electrician, your contract is with the builder, not the electrician. If so there may a case for insisting the builder have an EICR done at his expense. (Good luck with that though)

It may be in the builders best interest to ensure you get it as BC shouldn't sign off the whole project without all the necessary paper work in place. (Unless of course the electrics are the only element requiring BC notification)!

Hi all, I fully understand trying to cost this without an inspection is tricky but I need a rough price so the solicitor can put that in the legal documentation. Also if I posted this person’s name and company details would someone be able to assist me in contacting him - they are in the High Wycombe area post code HP15.

That is impossible to say through an internet forum. Depends on the standard of work and whether any issues are found and need rectified, if any.
Hi MJPD29, I fully appreciated your reluctance in this matter but can I propose a scenario:
One of the electricians you work with and trust is unable to provide the installation for a job. You implicitly trust them; so what would you charge to inspect and provide the electrical certificate.
I do fully appreciate your reluctance here but any input would be welcomed!

That is impossible to say through an internet forum. Depends on the standard of work and whether any issues are found and need rectified, if any.
Hi MJPD29, I fully appreciated your reluctance in this matter but can I propose a scenario:
One of the electricians you work with and trust is unable to provide the installation certificate for a job. You implicitly trust them; so what would you charge to inspect and provide the electrical certificate.

Hi all, I fully understand trying to cost this without an inspection is tricky but I need a rough price so the solicitor can put that in the legal documentation.
It might help understand why another electrician would not want to complete an EIC for work done by another, even if he trusted him, if you read what the signatory is declaring on the form:
That is why it was suggested, if the Building Inspector would accept an EICR, that would be a more pragmatic way of resolving the issue.
IMG_0432.jpeg

This issue appears to pop up every now and then m where by the orginal sparks either disappears mid job or near the end of the job and doesn't leave any paper work or certs.
I have done EICRs for a couple customers in the past who have had rogue sparks quit near the end of the job, My building control in my area have never had any issue with this.
As for the price , I am £95 per hour if that helps the OP gauge the cost

I propose a scenario:
One of the electricians you work with and trust is unable to provide the installation certificate for a job. You implicitly trust them; so what would you charge to inspect and provide the electrical certificate.
No ‘bona fide’ electrician will sign of others work, no matter how much you trust them, #13.
They will however do an EICR on the work in this case a garage conversion which can then be submitted to building control who if happy with the EICR will issue a building regulation Part P certificate.
Sticking my neck out, and as you don’t mention any details of the installation, supply, earthing, number of circuits etc (and you only wanted a rough price) …. £550 plus vat.

As the others have said, no one apart from the electrician who carried out the work can issue you with an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC).

The only thing you can do now (assuming you continue to be unable to contact the electrician), is to get a different electrician to carry out an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on all of the new work. The results of this report will come back as satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

The building inspector is 'likely' to accept a satisfactory EICR rather than the required EIC, but it is not a fore gone conclusion and it would be best to check with them first.

I can tell from your posts you just want a figure. A rough idea of the cost for carrying out the report would be £200. You would then need to pay further costs if the report was unsatisfactory. It is impossible to say how much this would cost. Anywhere from £80 for a faulty socket, to £5000 to completely redo all the electrics. Obviously these are silly figures and just to show that it is again impossible to give a figure for any remedial work that may be required.

It might help understand why another electrician would not want to complete an EIC for work done by another, even if he trusted him, if you read what the signatory is declaring on the form:
That is why it was suggested, if the Building Inspector would accept an EICR, that would be a more pragmatic way of resolving the issue.
View attachment 112681
Hi Avo Mk8,
I am in no shape or form an electrician and I do truly appreciate all of the kind advice this forum and its contributors have provided. I’ll raise this with my builder, who is probably aware of this EICR route, and I’m sure we can reach a pragmatic solution.
Again thanks for all for the assistance, it is appreciated.

A rough figure would be 250 for an EICR, any further work to be carried out would then be charged on top of that.

The electrical work mentioned is a garage conversion with a 4-way board, and the EICR only needs to cover those 4 circuits (or less, if not all used) plus earthing & bonding, there should be no need to check the rest of the house (though it might be a good idea to do so, depending when or if ever done). The extent & limitations will define this.

Depending exactly what is converted (single garage, double garage) and to what (one room with a light and a few sockets, or something more?), the EICR cost might not be as high as some of the suggestions. Obviously any remedial work depends on the findings.

It might be worth posting a photo of said 4-way consumer unit, sometimes you can tell a lot about the quality of the install from that!

Reply to Certificate Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net