Discuss Buying House - advice needed on full rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanx for your reply, just to quickly quiz you on something, as there is a detached garage on the property with electricity, if I need a full rewire, does it mean I automatically have to update the electrics in the Garage as well in order to comply with any regulations, as Ideally I would prefer to leave the garage well alone to save a bit of money.

Dont take this the wrong way but your attitude of saving a bit o money reflects the mentality with the general public who would rather spend £50 a month to valet the car or buy that 50" TV than get their electrics sorted so do yourself a favor and negotiate money off from the sale of the house and invest it back in to getting the place rewired properly and remember cheap does not mean best

OP, did you manage to renegotiate the price with seller? If any use I had the same issue as you and basically gave mine the option of sorting out the rewiring themselves to bring the house up to regulatory standards and made safe for habitation or dropping the price accordingly to reflect me taking it onboard and seeing to the problem. Also you should get the garage sorted as well at the same time, get all of the work factored into the quote now.

Maybe you can try this route as I found offering options put me in a favorable position.

OP, did you manage to renegotiate the price with seller? If any use I had the same issue as you and basically gave mine the option of sorting out the rewiring themselves to bring the house up to regulatory standards and made safe for habitation or dropping the price accordingly to reflect me taking it onboard and seeing to the problem. Also you should get the garage sorted as well at the same time, get all of the work factored into the quote now.

Maybe you can try this route as I found offering options put me in a favorable position.

Thanx a lot for your advice and interest, at the moment everything's caught up in red tape due to the mortgage valuation. Will need to get that sorted before deciding how to proceed with the electrics.

Thanx for your reply, just to quickly quiz you on something, as there is a detached garage on the property with electricity, if I need a full rewire, does it mean I automatically have to update the electrics in the Garage as well in order to comply with any regulations, as Ideally I would prefer to leave the garage well alone to save a bit of money.

I don't know what garage you have but I'm guessing a couple of sockets, light and a switch? In the whole grand scheme of things is a couple of extra hundred ££'s going to really rock the boat?

One should never assume I guess

I've the same. Just brought a house. Survey come back with electrical check needed. Luckily I'm an electrician and questioned how this has been picked up. Brand new dual rcd fuseboard all bonding up together. In fact I went round and did a test so I could do a cert and the vendor said he didn't even open the cupboard to look at fuseboad, yet he advised they keep a £2.5k retention.

Most electricians will be able to tell you the general state of the wiring without a full EICR. You may have to pay for some testing, but it doesn't have to be hundreds.
Regarding the garage, if I'm rewiring a property, it all gets done. No point doing half a job.

Suggest they pay for the EICR or at least go halfers.. A decent good quality EICR will tell you a lot about the instalation... And if you shop around dont go for the £80 jobs from bill from the pub.. You may as well stick the £80 up your bottom for what it will tell you..

With the greatest respect to all you guys, I wouldn't have to carry out a full EICR before deciding somewhere needs rewiring.
I know it's hard to find the right electrician, as some will inevitably be touting for work, but a visual and some basic testing by a good and experienced electrician will give you a very good idea whether it's that bad.

So why don't you spend £200.00 on a proper EICR, and IF it recommends a rewire, then you could arrange a discount off the price you have agreed of say £2K??

So back to the OP, allow at least £1K per bedroom to approx cost the rewire, plus more for fancy LED downlights etc.

By the way where is "The Shire"?
its in middle earth not for from rivendale and a couple of days by elvish horse from mawdor, One does not simply walk into mawdor.

With the greatest respect to all you guys, I wouldn't have to carry out a full EICR before deciding somewhere needs rewiring.
I know it's hard to find the right electrician, as some will inevitably be touting for work, but a visual and some basic testing by a good and experienced electrician will give you a very good idea whether it's that bad.
lets all be honest here , looking at that pic , 3036 fuses probably getting up to 40 years old it looks like a rewire all day long but a quick half an hour by any decent spark will verify this.!

Reply to Buying House - advice needed on full rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net