Discuss Buzz noise while switching 3-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don7777

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all
I need help with an electrical issue I think which is coming at my house
I have a 2 three way switch to control a light fixture in my house. Initially the 1 switch was not working so I tried to flip it multiple time, then went to another switch and light started. Again I went to my previous switch and while flipping it made a buzz sound.
Also then when I was trying to remove a plug in same room it made a buzz sound from one of the sockets
From main panel I switch of the breaker and kept off.

My question is will replacing both the 3 way switch will solve the problem or is there any bigger issue.

Hi - it does sound like the light switch is playing up. If you decide you can safely replace it, remember to take a pic of the conductors before you start :) .

Sounds like a loose connection, which is only apparent when power is on one of the two travellers, or the switch mechanism itself is worn out.

you’ve done right to isolate the circuit.

As we don’t know your competence in electrical work, advise now to get an electrician involved. It’s either a new switch required or a simple tightening up of the terminal screw.

Sounds like a loose connection, which is only apparent when power is on one of the two travellers, or the switch mechanism itself is worn out.

you’ve done right to isolate the circuit.

As we don’t know your competence in electrical work, advise now to get an electrician involved. It’s either a new switch required or a simple tightening up of the terminal screw.
Hello I have very basic knowledge about electricity, i have previously replaced few switches in my home.
Is is something I can start with by replacing the two switches?

I only posted the question because I was not sure why a power outlet also made a buzz sound when I was unplugging some other device in the same room.

all of this things where working fine there is absolutely nothing has been done in house.

I only posted the question because I was not sure why a power outlet also made a buzz sound when I was unplugging some other device
Normally outlets are on a different circuit from lights largely because of the different power levels. So it’s unlikely that one issue is related to the other.

Normally outlets are on a different circuit from lights largely because of the different power levels. So it’s unlikely that one issue is related to the other.
I believe OP is in America. (Not sure) and I think they mix switches, lights and outlets on the same circuit.

If you have changed switches before, then just isolate the circuit, unscrew from the wall and give the terminal screws a tighten.
If the problem persists, then change one, or both of the 3 ways.

I believe OP is in America. (Not sure) and I think they mix switches, lights and outlets on the same circuit.

If you have changed switches before, then just isolate the circuit, unscrew from the wall and give the terminal screws a tighten.
If the problem persists, then change one, or both of the 3 ways.
Yes I am based in US.
When u switch off from main circuit I have to switch off two breaker which are 15 amp and 20 amp then the whole room power went off

Reply to Buzz noise while switching 3-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net