Discuss Cable toner in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

suffolkspark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anybody had any success with cable toners? I've got a job which is full of MI cable, but a lot runs In untraceable voids and there are a multitude of metal boxes joining them to singles and other MI cables, I can see in a loft space a large adaptable box with 9 in, there's a couple of those! I've got a damaged one on a job and am going round In circles checking where it's fed from, was thinking if these really work I can at least narrow it down before aimlessly taking things to bits, everything in the building still works so it could be redundant but it's 30m up on a scaffold so i want to be sure the neutral isn't still connected somewhere and could cause issues down the line!

Last edited:
I have used quite a few and most like the one you have linked are aimed for LAN cables. I have used them to locate circuits but they can only be used for dead cable testing

The cheaper ones i found hit & miss but had a lot of success with this one
IntelliTone™ Pro 200 LAN Toner, Tracer and Probe - https://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/copper-testing/IntelliTone-Pro-Toner-and-Probe

Fluke also do a cable locator which is designed for live or dead cable locating but its not cheap at around £600
Fluke 2042 Cable locator - https://www.fluke.com/en/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-2042

Be aware that on cables like SWA, MI, FP etc they will only work on the stripped ends (end to end)

If you can get to both ends then even the cheap ones will do the job but aren't so great at detecting circuit mid cable

Using toners have saved me countless hours especially when dealing with a lot of singles and should do exactly what you want if you can get to the joint boxes

If you can get to both ends then even the cheap ones will do the job but aren't so great at detecting circuit mid cable

Using toners have saved me countless hours especially when dealing with a lot of singles and should do exactly what you want if you can get to the joint boxes
Yea I've got access to lots of joint box's so hopefully it will help, I've ordered the one in the link but from cpc, made by flir so hopefully will do the job! Hopefully I can find it or I'll be borrowing some MI gear and attempting my first end in 15 years!

Last edited:
I have one of these, it's actually really good and has had a lot of use over the last year, only bought it because my Maplins one packed up!
Can't seem to get a link for it off Amazon
Screenshot_20211015-202311.png

Oooo that looks a bit nicer than the one i bought, allthough I hate button cell batteries ?

I must admit I'm not a fan of them either, but they are cheap enough, I bought 50 off eBay for about 3quid when I bought the toner and I've still got about 15-20 left so it's not been a problem.

I must admit I'm not a fan of them either, but they are cheap enough, I bought 50 off eBay for about 3quid when I bought the toner and I've still got about 15-20 left so it's not been a problem.

Don't leave the cheapy cells in equipment or they will likely leak at some point. Keep a regular check on them.

Anybody had any success with cable toners? I've got a job which is full of MI cable, but a lot runs In untraceable voids and there are a multitude of metal boxes joining them to singles and other MI cables
With MI having a copper shield all of the way, are toners only going to be of use at the actual accessories where the internal conductors get exposed?

@pc1966
This is a good point, the croc clips would need to be on the conductor to work as would the receiver due to the copper sheath. The one I linked to would not sense through the sheath.

Great job for data cabling

Do the toners work on MI ?
I imagine if i clamp on the outer copper the whole building will ring, but HOPEFULLY if I go L-N with them neutrals out at at board I may have have chance. It was only £20 so not the end of the world if it doesn't, watched a David savery video of him using one tracing circuits in a house so it may be usefull

When it comes to cable toners and tracers there are a few different types which can be deployed in different ways to achieve the end result
The first thing to consider is whether you need an open circuit or closed circuit tracer, on some you can operate them as open or closed circuit with a simple mode change
Having used cable tracers / toners since I got my first one back in the mid 1980's I have been experimenting on different ways of using them to find / locate faults. The first unit I bought was a 3M Scotchtrak unit it cost around £450 - £500 back in the 80's it only works as a closed circuit unit but will operate on voltages from 9v (PP3 battery) upto 600v so will allow it to work on dead and live circuits
Scotchtrak.jpg

A simple example of it's use back then (although not purchased for this fault) was an earth fault on an FP cable on a fire alarm, set it up to run from a 9v battery and connected it to the earth / metal foil sheath and to the conductors followed the tone on the cable to the point of the fault where the cable had been crushed and caused the short to earth

I also have a TeleTech toner / tracer which is more for telecom / data cable tracing although I have used it on mains cable faults as it will tone open circuit cables / faults

The big daddy is the Cat and Genny while it is designed more for tracing underground services there is no reason why it can't be used for tracing cables under floors and in ceiling voids

The first two are the most used bits of tracing kit I use and over the years I have adapted leads and connectors to suit different tracing needs

Little update.... it does indeed work for tracing MI, managed to clamp one end and find them in a joint box 30m away. Went on L and N (worked using just 1 clamp but tone was louder with both)

One caveat is that with neighbouring circuits live there's audible interference making it impossible to hear the tone, this effected the longer runs, some shorter ones which I traced to confirm redundant worked fine.

Reply to Cable toner in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net