Discuss Caution risk of danger and electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bernieg

JUST A WORD OF CAUTION AND POSSIBLE DANGER.

Although I have not tested the 'KEWTECH KEWCHECK 103 MAINS WIRING TESTER Ii have tested a variety of similar testers including an earlier version of the Kewtech tester and the similar Martindale tester. In my experience they all have a fundamental flaw as follows:-

If a socket you are testing has been wired reverse polarity and the earth pin is live. the tester will give the indication that the socket is wired correctly. This obviously is a dangerous situation.

Maybe I should explain further. we have all come across a socket that has been wired reverse polarity and maybe we have all come across a none existance earth for the sockets. The combination of these two faults fools the testerto give the indication that the socket is wired correctly. Needless to say this situation would make all class 1 items of equipment extremly dangerous and a risk of electric shock by touchig the metal casing, yet the tester has given the false indication that all is well.

I would welcome feedback regarding this subject.

What were the connections at the socket.Were they in the right connections:confused:I've seen this once before,the tails were connected the wrong way round in the CU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mac,

Quite simply the socket was connected reverse thus the live was in the neutral connection and the Neutral was in the live position. No earth was present and in fact the earth pin was live. Yet the tester gave the indication that the socket was wired correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Caution risk of danger and electric shock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net