Discuss Ceiling exhaust fan speeds in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys,
I have a ceiling exhaust fan that i want to know if I can have an electrician put something inline to increase the speed as I feel its not quite doing the extraction job sufficiently.

Product here: DETA 250mm Side Duct Exhaust Fan | Deta Electrical - https://detaelectrical.com.au/product/deta-250mm-side-duct-exhaust-fan/

When plugged into 240 it pulls 27.7w.
Not likely. Exhaust fans for baths come in a variety of sizes, if this fan is failing to remove steam from the area it's important to know that if a fan is trying to dump indoor air outdoors, there must be a way to replace that exhausted indoor air or else the fan will do very little. Try cracking open a nearby window a bit or door so replacement air can enter to prevent "negative pressure." Also, a timer dial can continue running the fan after you've exited the bathroom for a variety of preset time periods.

Thanks for that,

Exhaust is mainly for a small 2
Not likely. Exhaust fans for baths come in a variety of sizes, if this fan is failing to remove steam from the area it's important to know that if a fan is trying to dump indoor air outdoors, there must be a way to replace that exhausted indoor air or else the fan will do very little. Try cracking open a nearby window a bit or door so replacement air can enter to prevent "negative pressure." Also, a timer dial can continue running the fan after you've exited the bathroom for a variety of preset time periods.
Thanks,

The exhaust is in a small 2x3 meter laundry not extracting the air very well when the dryer is on.

The is a return air space venting from an open cat flap on the bottom of the door.

Have had a few instances where there is still quite a lot of moisture build up that I thought the fan would manage.

Does the fan spin freely when turned off ? Is the inlet to the fan clear ? Just wondering if it's got 'fluffed up' and it's not getting to it's full speed. You should see the state of some of the extractor fans at some of the hotels I stay at :-( Also check the pipe / outlet vent are not blocked.

Does the fan spin freely when turned off ? Is the inlet to the fan clear ? Just wondering if it's got 'fluffed up' and it's not getting to it's full speed. You should see the state of some of the extractor fans at some of the hotels I stay at :-( Also check the pipe / outlet vent are not blocked.

Yeh it does, I’ve checked the ducting which is only like 500mm and it’s clean as a whistle.

I have put some paper up against it so some extraction is working. It just does not resolve that damp effect that seems to be happening.

Thanks for that,

Exhaust is mainly for a small 2

Thanks,

The exhaust is in a small 2x3 meter laundry not extracting the air very well when the dryer is on.

The is a return air space venting from an open cat flap on the bottom of the door.

Have had a few instances where there is still quite a lot of moisture build up that I thought the fan would manage.

I have mostly found dryers exhaust directly outside, rather than into the room, be worth checking the dryer and see if it has a round exhaust pipe at the back, if so, you can vent that directly outside
Yeh it has one on the front and back, I wish I had of thought of this when I built the house then I could of make the wall cavity deep enough to hide a 150mm exhaust 🤦🏻‍♂️

If there is no way out of the room now, you could change to a condensing dryer when this one expires.
It will be much better to get rid of that amount of water directly out rather than trying to shift a large volume of air and hope it carries the moisture away with it.

Hi guys,
I have a ceiling exhaust fan that i want to know if I can have an electrician put something inline to increase the speed as I feel its not quite doing the extraction job sufficiently.

Product here: DETA 250mm Side Duct Exhaust Fan | Deta Electrical - https://detaelectrical.com.au/product/deta-250mm-side-duct-exhaust-fan/

When plugged into 240 it pulls 27.7w.

Hello, this comes late (new) and likely you would fret remodeling, but as a TIP for the general public then:
Where a ceiling fan, can likewise go a skylight.
Meaning?
Instead of a ceiling fan, whenever you can, put a skylight like I did, which can stay open in rain and even mild storms (tested to 80km/h, didn't dare in higher winds as where are winds there's typically downpour here too, and I wouldn't want a flooded home just for the sake of my "skylight research") :p

Back to, why skylight that can stay open?
Because: YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH AIR CICULATION YOU GET:
The indoor air is SO MUCH FRESHER, the HUMIDITY OUT, very little cold air enters in winter, never rain enters (the way I built it), and if you add those films (forgot the name) that keep sunrays out, then your skylight gives light, yet without fading your interior or blinding you. In short, an amazingly beneficial alternative for the often requested and required air exchange! ✅:)

Reply to Ceiling exhaust fan speeds in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net