Discuss Extract fan recomendation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Got a job coming soon that’s going to be a nightmare, but in the meantime there’s a few odd jobs to do. One of them is to replace a timed fan in a bathroom.

The way the apartment is constructed, there’s no window in the bathroom, and the existing 230v fan is located above the bath, through a wall and then ducted 3m to outside through another room.

like for like replacement, but no way I am fitting a 230v in that location... so, I’m looking for a fairly strong 12v fan with timer, with enough oomph to pull the air the full 3m distance.
Another apartment above so ceiling mount isn’t an option.
Placement of transformer is also a problem.

Solutions?
(inline fan in the pipe box? Just thought of that)

This same property has another bathroom on a lower floor, has window, but no extractor and it’s fully tiled. Options for extract fan here?
2ft thick outside walls, and he doesn’t want tiles broken. Tiles are also in a brickwork pattern so I can’t even take out one square tile and core through from there.
First thought is the window is recessed into the wall at an angle, and that part of the wall isn’t tiled. Core through on the angle, same from outside and meet in the middle, at a rather obtuse angle?
Flexiduct through the hole.
Customer is waiting for planning consent as the building is listed for this new hole and the refurb to come.

Just "off the wall" so to speak, is there any possibility of running the ducting under the floor. I had to do this in a house I had, but I had a hollow wall to drop the ducting down to the underfloor area, and I had to fit a hefty centrifugal fan to pump the air 4m to the outside wall. It worked well, though.

Ill have to check what the adjacent room is being used for.... If its a bedroom, they wont want a fan noise disturbing anyone sleeping.

I also have to check whats below. The apartment is built into an old country house, and this is the upper of the two lowest floors... but i dont know if below is still within the property or into a store room for all the apartments.

At the moment there's no fresh air intake ducting to outside either, unless there's a vent to the hallway i didnt notice

I'd go for an inline fan in the boxing, 12v fans never have the same oooomph. I fit the envirovent SIL100T wall fans, their 12v counterpart is Sh!T and I dont know why... so yea , I vote inline

1613412011247.png
this my recommendation ,oops just readied it extractor fan .lol.

Greenwood Airvac cv2gip rated IPx5 when mounted on the wall, also its a continuous extract fan so it would constantly ventilate the room.
These are all we fit now.
They did do a 12v version of this, not sure if its still available.

Flexiduct in not only noisy, but promotes the fall out of water from condensation, with it a condensate trap is almost essential, why do you have to core from both sides? coring from just one side will allow a smooth circular duct to be used, slightly inclined to allow condensation to fall to the outside, external air movement tends to take the condensation away and prevents staining of the outside of the building.

Flexiduct in not only noisy, but promotes the fall out of water from condensation, with it a condensate trap is almost essential, why do you have to core from both sides? coring from just one side will allow a smooth circular duct to be used, slightly inclined to allow condensation to fall to the outside, external air movement tends to take the condensation away and prevents staining of the outside of the building.
Because the customer doesn’t want any tiles damaged. As described in OP, the tiles are 4”x2” laid in a brickwork pattern....
Coring straight through would be easier, I know.
There’s also getting cable access down from the ceiling to think about. (Surface mini trunking? No thanks)
Fans shouldn’t be too close to windows anyway, but needs must.

I’m on site there tomorrow, so I’ll do some photos and investigation.

I’m now thinking, if the joists are running the right way, I could ceiling mount and run below the floorboards above. I’m fitting downlights into this bathroom too, so boards will be up.

I would be confident enough in my diamond core to drill into the tiles at the centre of the proposed hole and core straight through, I have a dedicated Macrist vibration drill not an impact drill.

My memory ain’t what it used to be.

site visit today, and the upstairs bath is actually just a shower. And the ceiling is so high I think I can get away with a 230v

9D6CEA48-3875-4FB4-A09C-975A4FB6DFBF.jpeg

The lower floor bathroom still may be a problem.

8F46562F-BE5E-4C0D-B6C5-E42A79475E62.jpeg

The room above this is a kitchen with laminated flooring. I’ll have to get that lifted to see which way the boards are running, and in turn which way the joists are. I’m hoping towards the window there so I can put in a ceiling fan and duct to outside.

There is a room with the carpet up, and the joists are running the way I want, but no guarantee being the same in an old building.
Turned over the hall carpet, and those boards are running diagonally... so no help there.

Customer also wants an electric point for a towel rail on the wall to the left of the photo. Drilling through a 3ft wall into a bedroom, then either chase right up to ceiling, or surface trunking on top of skirting to nearest socket.

My memory ain’t what it used to be.

site visit today, and the upstairs bath is actually just a shower. And the ceiling is so high I think I can get away with a 230v

View attachment 64801

The lower floor bathroom still may be a problem.

View attachment 64802

The room above this is a kitchen with laminated flooring. I’ll have to get that lifted to see which way the boards are running, and in turn which way the joists are. I’m hoping towards the window there so I can put in a ceiling fan and duct to outside.

There is a room with the carpet up, and the joists are running the way I want, but no guarantee being the same in an old building.
Turned over the hall carpet, and those boards are running diagonally... so no help there.

Customer also wants an electric point for a towel rail on the wall to the left of the photo. Drilling through a 3ft wall into a bedroom, then either chase right up to ceiling, or surface trunking on top of skirting to nearest socket.
core it out, man. and don't be put off .a 230V fan in zone 1 is compliant as long as it' IP4x.

Strong magnet on that ceiling might help find joist direction?

Reply to Extract fan recomendation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net