Discuss Certificate just to change switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

At a guess the company you now work for carries out reactive maintenance for a housing association or sheltered housing or nursing home etc.... the reason for the MWC is simple they charge x for the switch and get xx for the cert. That’s business. :)

I think it concentrates the mind to actually test, I do a minor works for everything. I did some work last week and the customer thought the testing was a bit of a joke and overkill as they had seen the 'earth cable' themselves when they put the light up. I found the cpc simply went two meters to another junction box where it was joined to a two core cable!:)

I know most people will say they do the tests anyway...................!

At a guess the company you now work for carries out reactive maintenance for a housing association or sheltered housing or nursing home etc.... the reason for the MWC is simple they charge x for the switch and get xx for the cert. That’s business. :)[/QUOTEThe company I work for are the housing Associatiob

I think it concentrates the mind to actually test, I do a minor works for everything. I did some work last week and the customer thought the testing was a bit of a joke and overkill as they had seen the 'earth cable' themselves when they put the light up. I found the cpc simply went two meters to another junction box where it was joined to a two core cable!:)

I know most people will say they do the tests anyway...................!

It's just the thought of doing the test for changing an 1way swicth. If it is not law to do the test, why should I.

It delays my other jobs.

Thanks, but I feel if it is not nessessary by law, I rather go to my other jobs as I help the old and disabled. Carrying out tests just means I have to cancell jobs when I'm needed. I'm fully certified as an quality supervisor. I have been told that I should really be doing it.

If you get paid per hour it doesn't matter if you get paid per job then it does, you need to go with the flow and chill out as long as the paperwork is cushty then the old and disabled can die but it won't be your fault.

Tell the boss you now wish to be called Maureen......

I understand how you feel about the testing part but as has been said a Zs will prove your CPC in the installation and at the same time testing the RCD for the cert. This will help you exit the job knowing that you've secured the safety of the client and will help you sleep at night. You'll save that time somewhere else and be a better QS because of it. Keep a time diary to show your boss.

If you get paid per hour it doesn't matter if you get paid per job then it does, you need to go with the flow and chill out as long as the paperwork is cushty then the old and disabled can die but it won't be your fault.

Tell the boss you now wish to be called Maureen......
Your right, I need to chill.

I understand how you feel about the testing part but as has been said a Zs will prove your CPC in the installation and at the same time testing the RCD for the cert. This will help you exit the job knowing that you've secured the safety of the client and will help you sleep at night. You'll save that time somewhere else and be a better QS because of it. Keep a time diary to show your boss.
Thanks for your input, very appreciated

Unless they charge by the minute, I should think the cost would, be the same with, or without a MWC.

I doubt it Andy , don't get me wrong I always make sure what I do is safe and do essential tests but a minor works for say replacing a faulty one way plastic switch is overkill IMO,on the other hand if I changed an electric shower I'd do the cert, just applying common sense really.

I work for a housing association also and we always complete a minor works for a shower change. For sockets and switches etc we have our own maintenance work cert' which just covers circuit details and a Zs and rcd test if fitted.It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in and send on an iPad, and as others have said if you test and keep your results it could keep you out of trouble in the future, it may also help you spot a problem. Unfortunately the name of the game is cover yourself and do the tests.

It taked a minute to change light switch.
Cert does not take a minute.
That's my point, you say it takes a minute to change a light switch. If you charge for a minute then the cost would be more for the MWC, 50p or so labour plus parts plus the cost of the MWC.
However I'm guessing you charge for the hour or even a call out fee, in which case it would cost no more to fill out the MWC if needed.

I doubt it Andy , don't get me wrong I always make sure what I do is safe and do essential tests but a minor works for say replacing a faulty one way plastic switch is overkill IMO,on the other hand if I changed an electric shower I'd do the cert, just applying common sense really.
I mainly agree with this Dave and I'd be the same with just a switch. However a metal switch I'd want to record the Zs, that's all. I wouldn't do a complete test but I'd test for an earth as I'm sure you do, and note it on a MWC. The same if I change a socket, Zs and RCD times.

Disagree on like for like tests .......... just put the Zs on the invoice ......... doing MWC's for clients is a waste of our time ..............when they are for simple like for like changes

Reply to Certificate just to change switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net