Discuss certs on re-wire ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wilmer197

I have recently been asked by a friend if i could re-wire a property he has just bought, i am a fully qualified electrician to 2330 and 17th ed, but not yet passed my 2391. I wondered how i would go about getting it tested once finished and would this be allowed ? I do have experience in testing but i wouldnt be able to sign the cert would i ?

It matters not a diddly how qualified you are, it's upto the LBC if they will accept you testing & certing (as I assume you are not part P registered) any notifiable work (remember you'll still have to pay for notification anyway), because in my area they will only use their own listed Part Pee'd approved contractors to test & cert 3rd party work.

My advice give the bco a call first.

Why buy your certs , just use the certificate download off the IET site.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers. sorry dont know the termology that well, i assume bco means something to do with the building inspector ?

BCO = building control officer (the bloke or blokette that visits site)
LBC = local building control (the place you ring where they know diddly about your question & have to wait for the bco to return to the office, before answering your question)

A Re-wire is a notifiable Job under the building regulations Part P

Notifiable jobs must be either completed and certified by a Registered Competent person or

If work is carried out by none registered person Notified to the local building authority (LBA) BEFORE work commences. This is done by completing and submitting a building notice to the LBA, forms availalbe from LBA office. While in there why not ask about the local procedure before filling in the form.
The LBA should complete a visual inspection at first fix stage to check the work complies with ALL aspects of the building regs. The LBA inspector should then find out who will be carrying out the Initial verification Inspection, testing and Certification and be happy that that person is competent to carry out this work on completion. This is usually done by the installer producing certain recognised qualifications typically NVQ3 , 2382, 2391 to name just a few. Again no consistency between different councils check locally before work commences

The problem is that many LBA's do not have suitably qualified inspectors in their employ and so different procedures are adopted thorughout the country

This in my opinion is the BIGGEST problem with part P no consistency and no funding for LBA's to fulfil their correct role in the whole system.

You need to complete 2 jobs before you can register. Technically these 2 jobs may need LBA involvement if the LBA only uses sub contrctors how can you qualify to register in that area.

It is not the best system in the world is it. Maybe the Govt should look at other systems in countries like Australia USA and Canada, but that's another story.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to certs on re-wire ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net