Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Change of trade (Electronic Tech to Electrician) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

scottri

Hello Members,

After 28 years in the electronics industry, I would like move towards self-employment with part of my plans being to consider getting into micro-generation.

With all the electronic, semiconductor, electrical, mechanical...etc experience I have obtained through working mutli-skilled jobs (and reaching senior engineering level positions), I'm still just an electronic technician to trade....absolutely no use if you want to get some kind of electricial ticket.

I contacted local colleges and associations and was told I can't become an Electrician without an apprenticeship. I then heard that I can do 17th edition and some C&G courses and pass myself of as an electrical contractor (although not in my homeland of Scotland, I'd have to take that route via the English system and NICEIC).

So my question really relates to:
Without having served a recognised electrical apprenticeship (and not working for an "electro-technical" company) is it possible for me to become qualified as an Electrician (so that I can perform, test and certify electrical work)? and if so...How / what's the route?

I'd be grateful for any related advice...

Many thanks,

by the same ticket, we would have to jump though hoops to take a senior level electronics position. Not saying that you don't have the rights to work in electrical installation, but the NICEIC make my blood boil when the JIB will rightly not grade anybody as an electrician without an apprenticeship, but the joke NICEIC will allow someone with a 17th edition piece of toilet paper and a 2391 course to become a contractor??? It's practically criminal

First let me say i am Not a spark.
I am based in Fife and can sympathise with your situation.My Jon in epos /It lead me down the pat testing route many years ago hence i have an interest in electrics.
Yes you can take the various c&g courses that are avail in scotland.
you will find the following available i believe
2382 17th ed
2377 pat
2392 inspection test
2391-10 inspection test
2391-20 design
however with a recent shake up at the c&g the last three are about to change.
I think it is possible to take the cg2330 l2 &3 for a wee while yet in england and if you have really really deep pockets from ocli at livingston.

feel free to pm if you have any questions as i have had a good look at the current situation north o the rio tweed.

Reply to Change of trade (Electronic Tech to Electrician) in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net