Search the forum,

Discuss Circular Saw Help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eskimo39

Hi guys after struggling with my 14.4v panasonic today whilst cutting about 30 boards on a new job, I have decided to either buy a bigger cordless 18v-28v or a corded one.

Can anyone advise on these few models:

Festool Ts55 - Looks great as it has a plunge feature and as usual with Festool, should be great quality. Not sure if the plunge is ok without a guide rail?

Milwaukee 28v - Can get one with 2 batteries at a great price and 28v should be pretty powerful.

Hilti WSC55 Corded - It's hilti so should be fine.

Or does anyone else have one they can recommend? I know a lot of people don't like using them for fear of hitting pipes or losing legs but I like the speed and quality of cut if I am careful.

makita 110volt. cuts anything real quick and neat. ( mine was £25 from car boot )

Mafell do some nice saws too often festool copies. The plunge works fine without the rail we've got one at home far more control than trying to introduce the blade via a pendulum mechanism, Dewalt and makita both now have plunge saws both cordless, can't remember if they do corded versions, it would also be worth changing the standard blade to an evolution tools rage blade it cuts through everything!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc3DLOzeWGA

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer mains powered but because I work between domestic and commercial/industrial jobs, I would need a 110v and have to carry a transformer in domestic situations. On most domestic rewires I only need to life about 20 boards most of the time so a good cordless seems ideal.

I am edging towards the Hilti because my existing 36v batteries will fit and it seems very powerful, however perhaps a bit too powerful for cutting 1-2" boards.

I can get a 28v Milwaukee with 2 batteries for only £50 more than the Hilti but I haven't seen one to compare to.

Just ordered the Festool TS55 after having a quick go with one this morning on site. The plunge feature is superb for cutting into boards and it is really simple to set depth.

Just need to find a way now for checking if pipes are under the boards, seriously wanting to try one of these : Bosch D-TECT 150 Digital Wall Scanner With Metal/Stud/Electrical Wiring Detector DTECT150 £469.90

Great buy on the Festool. I had a crack at the Hilti rebar locator basically the same unit as the Bosch probably made in the same factory, it was very accurate, though this was on their specimen rig.

Festool all the way.no good without the guide rails tho
I had a play around this afternoon with it and it is fine for floorboards without the rail, I wouldn't want to cut anything perfectly straight but seems to work as well as a normal circular with the added bonus of plunge.

Reply to Circular Saw Help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net