Discuss City & Guilds vs EAL in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dazed&confused

Afternoon

Im new to the site, and have only just started my training in college in September, just looking for a few opinions from experienced sparks

I started on a EAL level 2 diploma in Electrical Engineering, this was because my local college no longer does the C&G 2330. I am worried about the lack of knowledge of the EAL amongst those I know in the trade.

I'm 30, looking for a career change, i an not currently working in the industry. However, i've had a chat with someone who is willing to take me on but he had never heard of the EAL, he said that he would take me on if i could switch to C&G. Even though if he took me on as an trainee I would end up with a NVG Level 3 in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and equipment which is what I would end up with if i did the C&G course.

Am I wasting my time with this course if potential employers are going to look for those with the C&G 2330 rather than NVQ Level 3?

It should be noted that there are other colleges in South Wales which are now running the EAL courses, so EAL qualification will become more popular, its just that this is the first year the college has run the course.

Any opinions welcome

Swansea college run the 2330 level 3 and have their own assessors for the NVQ, Where I did mine. Get on it asap if I was you! They might let you start the course late and play catch up from the rest that would have started in September!

Last edited:
cheers. I managed to speak to one of my lecturers, I could transfer, but I think its better to finish the level2 eal before attempting the level 3 c&g. Turns out c&g only going to be concentrating on the level 3.which is why the colleges in wales have started to run the EAL level 2 course.

C&G quals are certificates and EAL quals are diplomas. Diplomas are 'ment' to be more credable?!. I have Level 3 EAL in electrotechincal services content is the same. Remember its just 'underpinning knowledge' you never stop learning :)
EAL is quite a new qual so that's why maybe the bloke hadn't heard of it.

Cheers Kamkam.

He hadn't heard of it, because of this he was afraid that if he took me on the EAL qualification wouldnt be recognised by the JIB. I rang the JIB just to be sure, they said it was. When i told him that it was recognised by the JIB he didnt have a problem with me continuing with EAL course, which is what im going to do. So looks like like at the age of 30 i'll be starting my apprenticeship in March, going to be skint for a while.

Great news! Gives the rest of us wannabe's a glimmer of hope.
How do you know or get this bloke to take you on then if you dont mind me asking? Could help some of us.

They used to live in my street years ago. In the last couple of years they re-started the rugby team on my estate which i used to go and watch, his company were sponsoring the kit and i know his son. They knew last year that I was looking at a career change, I asked his son were they taking on any trainees as I was doing a course in college, they said they might be, so before xmas I popped into the for a chat and the boss said they were lookiing to take on someone. It's the only bit of luck i've had on the job front. Problem is i'll be starting on £95 a week so ill be looking for a second job...no rest for the wicked :dizzy2:

Good times!
If I am even lucky enough to get an apprentiship(doubtful) I know the wages will be crap while trying to keep a family of 5 fed although we both work and I work weekends already as a HGV driver for Boots on agency so I am ready once the summer is over and hopefully then I will be able to afford the drop.
Hope it works out for you.

Afternoon

Im new to the site, and have only just started my training in college in September, just looking for a few opinions from experienced sparks

I started on a EAL level 2 diploma in Electrical Engineering, this was because my local college no longer does the C&G 2330. I am worried about the lack of knowledge of the EAL amongst those I know in the trade.

I'm 30, looking for a career change, i an not currently working in the industry. However, i've had a chat with someone who is willing to take me on but he had never heard of the EAL, he said that he would take me on if i could switch to C&G. Even though if he took me on as an trainee I would end up with a NVG Level 3 in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and equipment which is what I would end up with if i did the C&G course.

Am I wasting my time with this course if potential employers are going to look for those with the C&G 2330 rather than NVQ Level 3?

It should be noted that there are other colleges in South Wales which are now running the EAL courses, so EAL qualification will become more popular, its just that this is the first year the college has run the course.

Any opinions welcome

Hi mate,

I will throw my two pennoth at this. I deliver the EAL NVQ level 2. The difference between the EAL award and the C&G award at the moment is that the EAL award is done on the QCF system. The QCF system is known as the Qualification Credit Framework. This breaks the NVQ down into modules, each completed module has a certain amount of credits, so the more modules you do the more credits you get. Once you have completed the three mandatory units which are QPEO1/001, 002, 003, which are knowledge bank questions on Working safely, Working effectively, and Understanding and Communicating Technology you will then move onto doing practical exercises in Electrical installation and Electronics, there are quite a few units you can be taught, i teach QPEO1/020 and 022. Once you are assessed as competent and feel comfortable you will complete 3 assessments, when you have successfully done those you have attained NVQ Level 1. This is yours to keep, so if you break your training then this prior learning is taken into account and you can come back at a later date to finish it. However on completion of Level 1 you will move onto L2, this is very much the same as Level 1, but the assessments are more complex.

To progress to NVQ Level 3 you will need employment, as this is done in company on the job so to speak.

C&G are migrating the the QCF set up, and some of their short courses have already been converted. But at the moment 2330 has not, so if you duck out of this then there will be no allowance made for any previous learning you have done, it is back to square 1.

Cheers.........Howard

PS forgot to add, L1 is a 10 week course, and L2 is 20, but in reality if you knuckle down and get on with it, you can do the lot in 18 to 20 weeks. Most of my 16 year old apprentices completed the week before Xmas, and they started in august.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, not even my lecturers have explained it to me in that much detail
Its a pleasure. If your lecturers are delivering the C&G 2330 they probably have little knowledge of the EAL award. I work closely with both EAL and C&G because as well as delivering the EAL NVQ, i also deliver all the C&G short Electrical courses, so i get regular info from both organisations.

The C&G 2330 will go down the QCF route in the near future, the old C&G 2391 has already gone there and re emerged as 2394 and 2395.

Cheers........Howard

Afternoon

Any opinions welcome[/QU Hi dazed&confused, you are right most colleges in South Wales are now running this EAL diploma course! I have completed an domestic installers course to no avail, so I'm know going down the correct route of college. How have you found this course as it's very new to the industry? I'm hoping to enrol in November at Ebbw vale college or Bridgend! They did say you need to be employed for the level 3 diploma so will be working hard for the next two or three years to finally gain the elite status of "electrician"

Hi Stuart, im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong

The 2330 level 2 and 3 has been replaced by the 2365 level 2 and 3 diploma in electrical installations

This is now the best route to go down if your not currently employed in the industry

You can either finish the 2365 level 2 & 3, and then do your NVQ3 as a add-on afterwards once you find work, or if you find employment before finishing the 2365 your college can transfer you over to the 2357 which includes the NVQ3 qualification

Matt

Hi Stuart, im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong

The 2330 level 2 and 3 has been replaced by the 2365 level 2 and 3 diploma in electrical installations

This is now the best route to go down if your not currently employed in the industry

You can either finish the 2365 level 2 & 3, and then do your NVQ3 as a add-on afterwards once you find work, or if you find employment before finishing the 2365 your college can transfer you over to the 2357 which includes the NVQ3 qualification

Matt

cheers Matt, the college has an open day on November 12th so I will attend that an see if they run the 2365?? I take it that this is a city an guilds qualification??

There just seems so many quals in electrics! Which ones are most preferred by employers?? As the EAL diploma is new so is it recognised in the industry at the current time??

I cant comment on the EAL, im only a trainee myself Stuart but from talking to friends / college tutors and reading /asking questions on here my advice would be to aim for the following with your current situation :

c&g 2365 level 2 + 3
NVQ Level 3
AM2
17th edition
2394 / 2395 inspection & testing

Thanks

Matt

Oh, and not to forgot the most important part which is plenty of practical hands on experience with a reputable company

Once the above are completed you can apply to the JIB for the golden ticket ( approved electrician gold card )

Cheers for that link Matt, I just rang the college an spoke with a course tutor and he said the EAL diploma and the 2365 diploma are the same qualification just two different awarding bodies!! So that's an interesting one?? I already have my 17th edition so adding one of these courses from two awarding bodies would be beneficial which ever route I choose! Cheers once again Matt really appreciate your help mate!!

Reply to City & Guilds vs EAL in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net