Discuss CK wire strippers... are they worth it? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm always on the look out for a tool that makes the working life easier.

At present, I strip the cable the way I expect most of you do. Side cutters first to snip the end of the cable (exposing the cpc) then pull back the cpc to the required length, then cut off grey outer sheathing, leaving the 3 conductors with just the basic insulation on.

I have no experience with the CK automatic wire strippers, are they worth it? In particular are they quicker than the standard method, also are they easier on the wrists? Or, are they too big and cumbersome and more of a gimmick?

Also, any other automatic wire strippers that are just as good or better?

Oh yes... one last thing.... Can you use them on round flex cable to remove the outer insulation?

Last edited:
They are £19 so why not just give them a go. I have had a set that I use most days for about 16 years, they were replaced last year due to me dropping them whilst up a ladder and the end of one handle shattering when it hit the concrete. I bought another set the same day. You can use them by scoring the flex with a knife first. If it thin outer sheath then no need to score it first.

for round flex use a rotary stripper for the sheath. but this shows on basic insulation .

At present, I strip the cable the way I expect most of you do. Side cutters first to snip the end of the cable (exposing the cpc) then pull back the cpc to the required length, then cut off grey outer sheathing, leaving the 3 conductors with just the basic insulation on.

I have no experience with the CK automatic wire strippers, are they worth it? In particular are they quicker than the standard method, also are they easier on the wrists? Or, are they too big and cumbersome and more of a gimmick?

Oh yes... one last thing.... Can you use them on round flex cable to remove the outer insulation?

I have been a convert to the CK ones for several years now - go through 1 every 6-9 months.

I use them mostly for stripping the sheath of T&E, or flex up to 1.5mm (2.5mm 3 core is possible but a very tight fit) - they work perfectly for both in my experience. They will also strip cores, though I mostly use my knipex pliers now for cores.

On some older cables (or cheaper news ones), the sheath 'sticks' so they don't work as well, but on the Prysmian I usually buy it works perfectly.

The only downside is that you can't trim close inside backboxes - for that I have a Jokari, though I find it fiddly to use to avoid damaging the core insulation - that is probably just practise though.

They don't strip rubber flex very well either, because it's too flexible - I use a knipex ergostrip for that - not that I like my gadgets or anything!

I have been a convert to the CK ones for several years now - go through 1 every 6-9 months.

I use them mostly for stripping the sheath of T&E, or flex up to 1.5mm (2.5mm 3 core is possible but a very tight fit) - they work perfectly for both in my experience. They will also strip cores, though I mostly use my knipex pliers now for cores.

On some older cables (or cheaper news ones), the sheath 'sticks' so they don't work as well, but on the Prysmian I usually buy it works perfectly.

The only downside is that you can't trim close inside backboxes - for that I have a Jokari, though I find it fiddly to use to avoid damaging the core insulation - that is probably just practise though.

They don't strip rubber flex very well either, because it's too flexible - I use a knipex ergostrip for that - not that I like my gadgets or anything!
Thanks for that Dartlec, some good information.

CK fan here too...used mine for a few years, mainly for t&e to remove sheath and insulation quickly. Well worth the small price. Agree not so good for close work in back boxes, so i use a different type for that. Also agree some dubious quality cables seem to "stick" but good quality cable is fine. If you have used a lubricant when pulling the t&e then the strippers will slip and not work so well.

I have those CK strippers and find them very useful but I got these from the last Elex show and have used them more than I use the ck one now. Other makes are available!

I also have the knipex ergostrip and that is a great tool as well oh and a jokari rotary stripping tool that is great for swa and the likes too!
Sy

Started with a pair of £6 Aldi auto strippers (same design as CK and they performed very well,lasted just over a year before I replaced them with the CK version, same job, smoother operation than that Aldi but worth it.

I have one of the CK strippers and its great for T&E. Sort of works for some round cables as well.

Would like to find a reliable and simple way to strip H07RN-F as still using Stanley knife for sheath but requires quite a bit of care to avoid nicking the primary insulation.

I have one of the CK strippers and its great for T&E. Sort of works for some round cables as well.

Would like to find a reliable and simple way to strip H07RN-F as still using Stanley knife for sheath but requires quite a bit of care to avoid nicking the primary insulation.
rotary stripper. select depth of cut by trial a end of cable. then adjust if needed.

rotary stripper. select depth of cut by trial a end of cable. then adjust if needed.
I have one of those style of tool and use it on the hard-ish plastic cover of Flexishield very well. Just not tried it on the rubber stuff as it seemed to grip quite tightly and felt it would simply twist the whole lot round.

bad on rubbery sheath. does tent to twist. with rubber sheath i tend to use electricians knife (gently).

LOve mine .

I've just bought a pair of the CK wire strippers.
I am happy I got them.
There is far less wear and tear on the hands, compared to doing it all with side cutters.
It is a little quicker than side cutters.
I don't really like using it for stripping cables in back boxes, too fiddly.
Overall, I am definitely happy I got it.
Thanks for all the posts! ?

I don't know if it's these you have, but I find them ideal inside back box's, the T&E fits through the handle and gets right inside to strip the outer sheathing, they also strip all the cores : CK T1260 Automatic TW/E Cable & Wire Stripper | CK (T1260) -
100% agree but bloody expensive ! I Have the red CK strippers and they do just about all my work. I dont lose any sleep about the small % that i flaff about with etc. I want to buy the new type when i can locate them cheap !

Reply to CK wire strippers... are they worth it? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net