Discuss Clamp meters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Following the unfortunate demise of my clamp I need to get another. It got crushed, my own fault as I left it on the step of the van whilst I sorted some other kit out, forgot it was there, it fell off and I drove over it. :sad_smile:

So, I'm after recommendations and personal opinions on what to get. I would replace it with another Fluke, but thought I'd ask here first as there are bargains and models I'm no doubt unaware of. I have the usual aray of MFT, multi-meter and so on, so I don't really need one which does other things.

FLUKE is a good one to go for, or Megger, Fluke have some really nice ones and also kits, and ones with power quality analyser etc.....take a look on ebay just now there's a load of good ones on there....

The main reason I've not bought much from test-meter is that they don't stock Fluke. I seem to have reached a point where I buy it from habit as I'm used to Fluke stuff and allways get good service from it.

I was just looking for opinions from people who have a particular brand or model that they prefer in case my habits meant I was missing out on a good bit of kit, or a particular deal that's available. Failing that, I'll have a look round at prices/kits/offers and get another Fluke.

Can't disagree that Fluke are top quality and worth the money.

I've had various over the years, the cheaper less known names are O.K if you don't expect to keep them forever, or plan on crushing them or getting them stolen!
Cheaper ones tend to die or split when dropped, at least Fluke can be repaired.

Hi Chaps, we endeavour to remain as competetive as we can be online.

Snowhead - many thanks for the link and recommendation.

As an ex-spark myself, I appreciate how much it costs to be an electrician with financial outlays on tools, test equipment, insurance, van, registration etc, so what I would like to say is that if you are looking to purchase test equipment and you receive a quote that beats our price (with the 5% forum discount we honour included), please PM us.

It may be that we might need to see your quotation in order to match it or beat it, but we're more than happy to help you out as much as we can.

Cheers :smile:

Hi Chaps, we endeavour to remain as competetive as we can be online.

Snowhead - many thanks for the link and recommendation.

As an ex-spark myself, I appreciate how much it costs to be an electrician with financial outlays on tools, test equipment, insurance, van, registration etc, so what I would like to say is that if you are looking to purchase test equipment and you receive a quote that beats our price (with the 5% forum discount we honour included), please PM us.

It may be that we might need to see your quotation in order to match it or beat it, but we're more than happy to help you out as much as we can.

Cheers :smile:

I can personally vouch for TM, would always be my first place to look!!,

You guys need to start doing fluke to help me with my addiction lol :)

I can personally vouch for TM, would always be my first place to look!!,

You guys need to start doing fluke to help me with my addiction lol :)

Haha, thank you High Tower, we'll see what we can do!

I was just looking for opinions from people who have a particular brand or model that they prefer in case my habits meant I was missing out on a good bit of kit, or a particular deal that's available. Failing that, I'll have a look round at prices/kits/offers and get another Fluke.

imago - what is the maximum and the sort of current are you measuring? We carry alternatives in stock from the likes of Megger, Metrel, Kewtech and Extech. One of the most popular clamps that we sell is the Metrel MD9230, which will measure both AC and DC current in different ranges up to 1000A.

TM, nothing out of the ordinary really AC/DC, 600v 200A or there abouts covers most of my requirements these days as the max values are usually 230v and 120A.

Realistically though, as High Tower says if you stocked Fluke I'd buy more from you. Unless there is a big advantage in changing brands I tend to stick with their stuff. Not because it's allways better, more a case of familiarity and a past history of good kit.

imago, there would be no benefit in changing brands - I completely understand and appreciate that familiarity with test equipment is paramount, and in my honest opinion Fluke are a fantastic brand of test equipment.

I can get hold of any Fluke instrument that you may be interested in - although being honest, we will probably not be price competetive as unfortunately we don't have a UK distributor status with Fluke.

I can only suggest alternative products that I can offer you a 5% discount on in order to try and give you a better deal.

Have a look to see if any of these clamps are of interest:

Kewtech KT200
Extech MA200
Martindale CM76
Megger DCM310
Metrel MD9210

Good luck and let me know how you get on :)

Yeah Fluke do make good stuff, their sales and after sales leaves a bit to be desired though. Any suppliers that you talk to give the impression that they're a bit 'odd' to deal with.

That Martindale looks a decent meter for the money, and it's yellow too ;)

'Forgive me Fluke for I have sinned.' :)

I've decided to be adventurous and try the Martindale. Order placed, and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Reply to Clamp meters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net