Discuss Compressor Wiring and DOL? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hursty

Hi
I have just quickly popped around to mates workshop and he has bought a typical bargin off fleabay. It is a 7.5kw, 10HP 3 phase compressor. Great buy, but... It literally has been rip out of previous place. So all that I am faced with is 6 x red cables (3 long, 3 shorter) and two flex cables 3C, coming out of a ducting.

I have connected simular things up before but with alittle info or documents on items. I know I will need a automatic DOL starter for 8kw. But if anyone has an diagrams or info for me with regards to connections for the 2 3c flex cables. Pressure switch being one and other?

As much info will be great, like to get as much as I can before trying to help him.

thanks

Hi
I have just quickly popped around to mates workshop and he has bought a typical bargin off fleabay. It is a 7.5kw, 10HP 3 phase compressor. Great buy, but... It literally has been rip out of previous place. So all that I am faced with is 6 x red cables (3 long, 3 shorter) and two flex cables 3C, coming out of a ducting.

I have connected simular things up before but with alittle info or documents on items. I know I will need a automatic DOL starter for 8kw. But if anyone has an diagrams or info for me with regards to connections for the 2 3c flex cables. Pressure switch being one and other?

As much info will be great, like to get as much as I can before trying to help him.

thanks

So he bought the motor, no starter or controls of any sort in the sell? from your description it looks likely that the machine was started Star / Delta with 6 conductors, without any further info it's difficult to advise.

Last edited:
So he bought the motor, no starter or controls of any sort in the sell? from your description it looks likely that the machine was started Star / Delta with 6 conductors, without any further info it's difficult to advise.

Yes that's right, no starter or controls for it. And he just looked at me "when can you get it going?"

All the info I got from that visit was number of cables is a mess and a bit of information off that tag:
Vemat VTB, 7.5kw, 10hp, 3phase,
v1 - 380/660, A - 15.6/9.00, rpm - 2880
v2 - 415/720, A - 14.3/8.20, rpm - 2880
v3 - 440/760, A - 13.5/7.80, rpm - 3456

THats all I managed to get, does anyone recognise this manufacture of motor? Looks Italian whether I could get info from them.

Yes that's right, no starter or controls for it. And he just looked at me "when can you get it going?"

All the info I got from that visit was number of cables is a mess and a bit of information off that tag:
Vemat VTB, 7.5kw, 10hp, 3phase,
v1 - 380/660, A - 15.6/9.00, rpm - 2880
v2 - 415/720, A - 14.3/8.20, rpm - 2880
v3 - 440/760, A - 13.5/7.80, rpm - 3456

THats all I managed to get, does anyone recognise this manufacture of motor? Looks Italian whether I could get info from them.

He bought it tell him to contact the seller and get some more info, tell your "mate" you need the info first

I hope he didn't pay too much for it... Im guessing he got this for a bargain but he's in for a shock when he realises how much it will cost to kit it out with a control system, don't dive into this unless you are aware of all the regulations and safety criteria that compressors fall under.. you will be the designer and installer thus responsible that it meets all current regulations and with that you will have to provide all relative wiring plans and documentation to its compliance.

Do you even know the motor works?

I hope he didn't pay too much for it... Im guessing he got this for a bargain but he's in for a shock when he realises how much it will cost to kit it out with a control system, don't dive into this unless you are aware of all the regulations and safety criteria that compressors fall under.. you will be the designer and installer thus responsible that it meets all current regulations and with that you will have to provide all relative wiring plans and documentation to its compliance.

Do you even know the motor works?

I think he was told it was working and that it was running a car garage.

I am beginning to realise this as I'm looking around the internet at control gear, and recommendations for sites or anything?

from looking at the item, I don't think seller knew much about it, just ripped it out by the looks. I will get onto him about it, and I will install supply and maybe get someone else to sort it out, if I can't find any more info on the area.

cheers for responses by way!

Reply to Compressor Wiring and DOL? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net