Search the forum,

Discuss Connector strips in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When's the last time you used a standard connector strip?

415fuVyag1L._SY450_.jpg

With the availability of wagos, Line connectors etc.
This isn't a random question, I do have a purpose behind asking.

Only reason I ask is that I used one today in an intermediate switch and got a right -------ing off another guy, saying they are no longer allowed etc.etc. I told him he was talking a load of tripe and to do one. I would have used a wago but I just didn't have any with me.

Also depends how many you need and who's paying ! As for no longer allowed , would be interested in that reg number, what tripe indeed.

As long as connector is correctly rated and accessible cannot see a problem.

Last edited:
Only reason I ask is that I used one today in an intermediate switch and got a right -------ing off another guy, saying they are no longer allowed etc.etc. I told him he was talking a load of tripe and to do one. I would have used a wago but I just didn't have any with me.

First I've heard of it...where did he get that nugget from?
I use wagos almost exclusively now,mainly because the strip connectors in smaller sizes from CEF are hopeless. the 30's are ok but the smaller ones it's a lottery as to whether the screw has a slot,whether it'll strip...or if you do manage to tighten it the bottom of the terminal tunnel splits.

First I've heard of it...where did he get that nugget from?
I use wagos almost exclusively now,mainly because the strip connectors in smaller sizes from CEF are hopeless. the 30's are ok but the smaller ones it's a lottery as to whether the screw has a slot,whether it'll strip...or if you do manage to tighten it the bottom of the terminal tunnel splits.
Had all of the above, now use wago or line

Mostly use Wago now especially if its in an attic.No more fiddling around with terminal screws for me.But I did use connector block recently in a light fitting rose.

Also depends how many you need and who's paying ! As for no longer allowed , would be interested in that reg number, what tripe indeed.

As long as connector is correctly rated and accessible cannot see a problem.

perhaps it was in the job specs not to use strip connectors, not necessarily a legal requirement applicable to anywhere else outside of that job

My niceic inspector told me I couldn't use con blocks in the back of a switch unless it was fixed to the back box either by a screw or double sided tape. !!!!!!
but heyho I use wagos exclusively now, much quicker and easier

Tell your NICEIC inspector he is a **** then the next time you see him from me, or put him on touch with me & I'll tell him to his face, & I'll get my NICEIC inspector to tell him the same, because he is.

Tell your NICEIC inspector he is a **** then the next time you see him from me, or put him on touch with me & I'll tell him to his face, & I'll get my NICEIC inspector to tell him the same, because he is.

I had to hold a giggle back when he told me especially the double sided tape.

he was an old guy so was it bit out of it, also told me that I should keep paper copies of everything rather than keeping them on computer etc..

Another reason my AE would call him a **** then!

Most of my stuff is electronic, including the regs & my BS's now.

There is no reason for paper.

How is he going to cope with the new NICEIC online cert system?...

It was a few years back now I except he's retired now. He had a great way of saying "that's okay but I do it this way" and that was on the paper work not installs.
personally I find the inspectors who don't work for the niceic (ie testing engineers hired in) are far better than the niceic inspectors and give you some great tips on how to test installs

Thanks guys for the responses. Fixing a connector strip to a back box with double sided tape, eh? I'll have to give that one a go some time......... ;)

We use them every day still as my boss won't convert to Wago or Line products no matter how much I try!

Thanks guys for the responses. Fixing a connector strip to a back box with double sided tape, eh? I'll have to give that one a go some time......... ;)
all it`l have been was some self important little sh*t goin round with his own version of this, that and`t other...
best to stick with what you know in this case....

My niceic inspector told me I couldn't use con blocks in the back of a switch unless it was fixed to the back box either by a screw or double sided tape. !!!!!!

I thought I'd heard it all but obviously not. Double sided tape...... I don't know whether to laugh or cry, you couldn't make this stuff up:44:.

I have an ongoing argument with my mate. If I use a Wago type he immediately trips into "ohhh that wont carry any current how can it ohhhh use terminal strips". But they do work, and i have seen so many screws come loose over the years.

I have an ongoing argument with my mate. If I use a Wago type he immediately trips into "ohhh that wont carry any current how can it ohhhh use terminal strips". But they do work, and i have seen so many screws come loose over the years.

its because the people fitting a lot of them are limp wristed.

how often are you called out because cables have fallen out of a socket as they connect exactly the same

Seen a few CPCs on sockets that have broken off at the terminals rather than fallen out. Perhaps a case of overtightening? Another good reason to double up CPCs I suppose.

If you double up the cpc's how can you guarantee that the clamp screw will cut down equally into each leg of the conductor, if it cuts one more than the other, you still have a weakness and only one is connected to the "install" as it were.

Fitted some JCC gu10 FR lights today and they had conn blocks for the final connections, yesterday i fitted some IP54 florries and they were push fit spring loaded type.
I think i go through about 3 to 5 strips of con blocks a year so they must go somewhere.
Personally i rate them about the same as any screw terminal be it in a light switch, socket, DB or light fitting.

does no one do the tug test, give it a tug and see if it moves. if it budges re-terminate it

Yes this is the first test I do & teach.
However, if you have a doubled up cpc and the screw has cut into only the "leg" of the cpc going "back" to the "install" how does this help if it has been cut half through already?
It's not quite so simple, as if it moves & you tighten it more you may just cut through it and it could break when you put the accessory back into its back box.
Such things are not so cut & dried.

Nothing wrong with connector blocks at all, except for the fact that you were using them yesterday, Saturday, and we are discussing them on a forum today, Sunday and it's about work when we should all have been & still be off for the weekend enjoying ourselves! ;)

Don't see the 'big issue' with connectors in fact if you ensure both cables are clamped with both screws of the connector probably better then many accessory connections. I have seen a fair few burnt/loose etc. but very few of these are in decent installs and most were in rough DIY jobs/ bad professional jobs. Done properly they are fine IMO

Reply to Connector strips in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net