Discuss Consumer unit space in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nickd911

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

We moved into a new build last year and want to add a couple of extra circuits but the consumer unit has no space and all the circuits are used. Is there any requirement for there to be space in the consumer unit and should i ask the housebuilder (Redrow) to resolve or pay myself for a new larger unit?

Any help appreciated,
N

Involve an electrician sooner rather than later.
they will be able to give you a professional opinion about the compliance of the installation.

also, they may be able to free up a spare way in the board.
e.g. If intruder alarm and door bell are on separate circuits, they may be able to combine them.
there are other things that may be grouped but a site survey would be best.

Corner cutting or bad planning when it was built. There should be at least one spare way when a consumer unit is fitted.

A photo of you CU would be helpful (blank of any personal info though).

As @Dustydazzler said it might be a standard pre-built unit and some of the MCBs are not actually used, but a photo or getting a sparky in to look should reveal it.

Incidentally what extra circuits do you need for a new build property?

Hi,

We moved into a new build last year and want to add a couple of extra circuits but the consumer unit has no space and all the circuits are used. Is there any requirement for there to be space in the consumer unit and should i ask the housebuilder (Redrow) to resolve or pay myself for a new larger unit?

Any help appreciated,
N
There is no requirement for them to supply you with extra ways to be used, although a bit of thought ahead would have been helpful from them. Usually this comes down to price but if you want more space you'll have to pau for it yourself.

There is no requirement for them to supply you with extra ways to be used, although a bit of thought ahead would have been helpful from them. Usually this comes down to price but if you want more space you'll have to pau for it yourself.

Isn't there a reg (or at least a written guideline somewhere) giving a guidance of spare capacity for a consumer unit?

Seen quite afew builds with literally 1 light or 1 socket on its own mcb

I would be tempted on these situations to move this onto a similar mcb and free up a way

IS the OP sure that some of the MCBs are not empty ? In the past I have left unused MCBs in the actual board. Especially when I used to do new builds rather than have dozens of MCBs kicking about the van I used to leave them sited in the actual board.
It's a new build.....they should check the schedule, EIC or, at least, the labelling, to get some info. If nothing , contact the providers for details.
Any spare breakers should be labelled as such.

Isn't there a reg (or at least a written guideline somewhere) giving a guidance of spare capacity for a consumer unit?
I'm not aware of a reg although that's not to say there isn't one. As for guidlines there could well be but you probably couldn't go back to the builder with it. Still pretty poor when designing a new build it wouldn't even have cost much, if anything extra.

Can we see a photo of the board as it is? maybe there's a physical space that a bigger CU just wont fit into.
With some boards its the same box for say an 8 way and a 10 way with just a different front cover and busbar length.

Might be a relatively cheap upgrade

The requirement was 12% spare wasn't it?

I can't remember where it is stated. Might check the OSG later.

Either way it's a bit crap when you have a brand new house and there isn't even a spare way for an EV charger.

OP, how confident are you with electrical work?

a suggestion, as others have previously mentioned there may be circuits that can be doubled up….
Is there a service isolator that can turn off the consumer unit? (Red switch on the tails between meter and CU)

Take a photo of the board, with circuits written on so we know which circuit does what.
Then with the power off, take the cover off the board and photograph inside. Post them to the thread.

please only attempt this if you are confident.

please only attempt this if you are confident.

both in opening the box, and taking a clear photo that is not so blurred that it makes our eyes water tryingtomake it out. ??

Reply to Consumer unit space in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net