Discuss Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I've come across a live, 2amp socket outlet in the lounge (round pin) & it's now isolated at the unit. I want to convert it to a std 13amp socket outlet. I don't know how I can do this, I wont say "any ideas" this forum will no doubt know.
Thanks in anticipation.

You can’t turn it into a 13A socket. The supply cable will only be suitable for lights, if it was done correctly in the first place.
Thanks for your reply. Looking at the cable, twin & earth, it looks like the same as that that is used for power outlets. Is it possible it was wired up with that in mine as the cable is what is used today.

When you say "isolated it at the unit"... do you mean consumers unit ? This would suggest that you have one circuit with only a 2A round pin socket on it. This sounds very odd. Or is this 2A socket one of many that are part of a lamp circuit ?? So you've isolated the lamp circuit ?? You need to provide far more details on exactly what you already have. Pictures always help.

And then the saga goes on to "I have tried to fit a 2A 2 pin plug to the table lamp, but where does the green/yellow wire go, can I snip it off?"

and then someone replies "No, that would be dangerous. Why don't you change the socket to a 13A one, seeing how it is wired in 2.5 T&E back to a 6A MCB!"

hang on, it's probably a 3 pin plug. Was thinking 2-pin. Silly me. That doesn't work.

So... the OP actually meant to ask... "I want to plug a table lamp into a lamp circuit, but it has a square pin plug top on it and the lamp circuit socket is a 2A round pin, what should I do ?"
If you, or others, don't have a serious contribution to a genuine question, I suggest you leave the comments to forum members who are willing to help. Your snide comment was not what I asked.
Don't waste your time with more flippant remarks, they wont be read!

If you, or others, don't have a serious contribution to a genuine question, I suggest you leave the comments to forum members who are willing to help. Your snide comment was not what I asked.
Don't waste your time with more flippant remarks, they wont be read!

I have read and re-read this thread from start to finish.
Unfortunately I am still not sure EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW.

If you have a 2A or 5A socket outlet (round pin) fed from a 6A breaker as I think you have, then to change or upgrade that to a 13A socket outlet the following must be true.

Cable size confirmed to be adequate for the new loading

Cable route to be confirmed, must not pass through any switch gear that is unable to switch the full load. I.e. light switches.

Rcd protection to be confirmed and tested

I honestly think this may be beyond your capabilities as a diy person,
you have been unable or unwilling to answer a previous question about the size of cable at the outlet (looks like other cables to sockets is not a confirmation of size or suitably)

Blindly following best guess and assuming all will be ok, could lead to a danger of shock or fire.
In this case I think you would be best advised to leave it alone and get a professional electrician in to do this.

It will then have a certificate to show the work has been done to the correct standards and tested as such.

Reply to Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net