Discuss cooker connection cross threaded in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adil24

Hi all,my first post,
Attended a job yesterday, to a family friend. She has just purchased a brand new range cooker, costing her £1000. The job was pretty simple, just to coonect the cooker to a bullnose. When I started connecting the live conductor on the cooker, the screw on the cooker connection was really tight, I used various screwdrivers,to achieve the correct torque, it would only tighten so much,but not enough for the cable.it seemed cross threaded. At this point th screw head was damaged, with silly me trying to force it.i didn't know how to explain this to the lady. I eventually did, I explained to her, said she needs to notify the company whom she purchased it from. I work for accompany so I did it as a favour,I presume the company would want to know if im part p registered. Would they're replace the cooker as this wasn't my fault?

I always await the day I wreck a cooker.

If I could feel it not going right to start with id probably say to the customer it's potentially faulty do you want me to proceed...

Hold on a minute, you have damaged an appliance and so you expect your customer to fix it for you?
That is ridiculous!
You broke it so you fix it! You need to replace the part you have broken.

Knowing what cooker terminal blocks can be like, the metal will have more in common with cheese than steel and be thin enough to read the newspaper thru.

Sorry Adil but family friend or not, if you damage my cooker you're going to fix it at no expense to me. Tel's post is the way forward for you.

am I the only one, or does anybody else think too big a deal is being made out of the issue?
its not the end of the world, and less than 15 will likely see it resolved...

non-electrical skills seem to have gone by the board in this day and age. i remember spending the best part of 3 months in the fabrication shop. drilling, tapping, filing, sawing, basic welding, etc. try cramming that in a 5 week wonder course.

non-electrical skills seem to have gone by the board in this day and age. i remember spending the best part of 3 months in the fabrication shop. drilling, tapping, filing, sawing, basic welding, etc. try cramming that in a 5 week wonder course.

It's gone by the board pretty much across the board, not just in this trade. Basic hand skills and any knowledge at all of basic tools and their uses. I never ceased to be amazed at the number of houses where they don't possess a basic tool kit.

Still, on the plus side it won't be long before the general handyman will be very wealthy and in constant demand.

When i started i thought was training to be a metal worker with the work i was doing why did i need to know how to weld as well as use presses lathes etc Of all the things i learned these basic skills still stand to me you cant always buy a new part. Any body can assemble it takes skill and experience to create,First thing we did on block release was make an immersion spanner still have it, still works (mainly as a paperweight)

I have served a full modern apprenticeship and can honest say you don't learn any basic practical skills in the college anymore.
I have been lucky in growing up with my grandfather as my role model, he was an old school diesel fitter and workshop foreman for many years. He spent most of his working life working on the machines in Australia's mines and quarries, so I've learned great skills and am slowly getting real tools passed on to me as he sorts out his garages.

And I served my apprenticeship at an old fashioned local builder so I had a chance to work with good tradesmen from all of the trades and learn many skills from them.

I agree the practical skills i learned all came from good lads on site but also we had to to go into the main office on 1 or 2 sat a month where we learned even more from a retired foreman who'd been at it 50 years he had a training workshop set up where he had knackered equipment so we could see the faults he also taught us glanding how to do sets using the test gear basic stuff that we might not see depending on the site we were on.Didn't realize what a resource he was till i was finished

i can weld uphill, downhill, left rite n back hill...

mig, stick, gas, argon.....

used to work as a plater...so i`v some transferable skills.....

we can talk about pattern development...if you like...

There is a chance the OP's terminal would have knacked with anyone drivin' it,poor quality being common-place on some of these unseen parts...but several times a week,an item that SHOULD be returned to the supplier/manufacturer,gets welded/soldered/tapped or otherwise made good again. I even ended up resurrecting my silver soldering skills a while back,rather than suffer giving bad news to everyone,and then waiting an extra week to try it all again...

i can weld uphill, downhill, left rite n back hill...

mig, stick, gas, argon.....

used to work as a plater...so i`v some transferable skills.....

we can talk about pattern development...if you like...

Welding is something id like to have a go at.

Done a bit of soldering before on pcb's etc or copper pipe.

Plumbed up a vented hot water cylinder with cwst above at college

I have recently completed an introductory course to blacksmithing, great fun and apparently I have a natural eye for it. Being able to eye up a bit of metal and see where to bend it and in what order to achieve a finished product, nothing like bending a bit of steel conduit then ;)

I have recently completed an introductory course to blacksmithing, great fun and apparently I have a natural eye for it. Being able to eye up a bit of metal and see where to bend it and in what order to achieve a finished product, nothing like bending a bit of steel conduit then ;)

want me to find the thread on another forum?

There is a guy that occasionally does courses where you turn up and he shows you how to make a knife/razor etc

the best bit is everyone goes home with something they made themselfs

Reply to cooker connection cross threaded in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net