Discuss Correct switches for 2 way pendant + bedside lamp circuits? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. First post here.

Background

I have a relative who is an electrician and is about to re-wire our home as a favour. I said that I will order and pay for all of the parts - so that they are here in on-site when he arrives to begin work.

I have already ordered a Hager consumer unit; the 10 Hager RCBOs I need; 35mm steel knock out boxes; 300M of 2.5MM T&E cable; 300M of 1.5MM T&E cable; 100M of 1.5MM 3 core&earth cable; some 10mm cable for the electric shower; and a load of Hager faceplates.

The part that I am struggling with slightly is the correct set of light switches for the bedrooms and for the hall. Most of the light switches are simple 1, 2 or 3 gang 1-way switches. In the bedrooms however, I will need 2-way switches and intermediates, but I can't quite get my head around the right ones to order - so I'm hoping someone can help me out...

My Question

In each of the bedrooms, there will be: 2 ceiling pendant lights; a bedside 5A lamp socket at the left of the bed; and a bedside 5A lamp socket at the right of the bed.

We would like the following switches:
  • 3 gang switch at the door of the room where:
    • button 1 controls the 2 pendant lights
    • button 2 controls the left bedside 5A lamp socket
    • button 3 controls the right bedside 5A lamp socket
  • 2 gang switch at the left side of the bed where:
    • button 2 controls the left bedside 5A lamp socket
  • 2 gang switch at the right side of the bed where:
    • button 2 controls the right bedside 5A lamp socket
I think I need the following:
  • 2 x 2-gang 2-way switch (for either side of the bed)
  • 1 x 3-gang switch for the door of the room (where 2 of the gangs are 2-way switches and 1 of the gangs is an intermediate)
Can someone help me to confirm that the above is correct?

Assuming it is correct, how do I buy such a 3 gang switch? The Hager range doesn't stock anything exactly like that. Am I correct in thinking that I should 'build' this switch using the 'Grid' range by ordering the following:
  • 1 x Raised Plate 3 Gang Grid Plate
  • 1 x 3/4 Gang Frame
  • 2 x 20AX 2 Way Single Pole Switch Grid Module
  • 1 x 20A Intermediate Switch Grid Module
Thanks in advance for any help.

FWIW I’ve put 2 double 13A sockets with USB either side of the bed so you can plug in bedside lamps and charge any other electrical devices you might be using in the bedroom. ;) Slightly higher, either side of bed I’ve also put switches to the main bedroom lights.

Faceplates wouldn't have to be Hager, it's only the consumer unit and the protective devices (MCBs, RCDs, RCBOs etc) that MUST be the same as the board, unless you are picking them for the style?

As you can't combine 2 2way switches (bedside lamps) and 1 intermediate switch (pendants) in a single off-the-peg solution (read mixed switch types in a 1G plate), I would agree that your module choice does appear correct.

Yes you can use grid switch systems for different types of switches. Personally I would use all grid switches so they look the same in the room.
This is an MK brand system I have at home.
20200108_134913.jpg

As above style.
Also very similar to Hager and Click mode.
Hager have the name embossed on them.
Click do a grid system.

Thanks guys. So just to confirm... do you think that a 'pre-built' (i.e. non-grid) will have a noticeably different look from a populated grid switch?

Specifically, do you think a Hager Sollysta 2 Gang 2 Way switch (Technical Properties WMPS22 - https://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/wiring-accessories/sollysta/white-moulded/white-moulded-switches/wmps22/61486.htm) will be noticeably different from a Hager Sollysta 2 Gang Grid Plate (Technical Properties WMGP2 - https://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/wiring-accessories/sollysta/grid/grid-plates/wmgp2/60619.htm )?

It'll be quite a bit more expensive to go 'fully grid', so if I can achieve a fairly consistent look by mixing and matching 'premade' switches with 'grid' then that would be better.

Hager switch modules are interchangeable for 1g and 2g.
If the intermediate module was required in one of the 2g switches you could just buy an intermediate and swap out the modules.

With Click minigrid you can buy the plates unfurnished and the modules you need - plates then look identical regardless of what you put into it

Your relative won't need the switches until he has finished running the cables.
Why don't you ask him/her when he/she starts work, then you can order the right ones?
You'll have them well before second fix time.....

Reply to Correct switches for 2 way pendant + bedside lamp circuits? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net