Discuss Crimping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olsonn

Just doing a bit of crimping practise on 6mm using the yellow crimps, I have a ratchet crimper, but I am sure that I can see metal through the crimp, is this normal or is something wrong??. As I have said, it is a ratchet crimper so it only releases when the crimp is finished.

If I crimp and then heat seal does the joint have to be accessible ???

Are you using the correct type of ratchet crimpers?

I've got various types. You need the ones with Red, Blue and yellow dots not the ones that look like crocodile teeth.

OK not my most descriptive post... but I hope it'll help.

I bought the crimpers from TLC, 1.5 - 6.0mm insulated crimp tool, it hasn't got any dots on it, but the jaws do resemble a crocodile

Think you've the wrong type..

They should look like this

4167yy8HugL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

EDIT:

You've stated they're 1.5 - 6.0mm insulated crimp tool.... So they should be ok?!?!?
I was thinking of the non insulated version

Last edited:
But mine are Blue :)

I think what the OP is saying is that he can see metal through the yellow plastic covering the crimp itself, this usually happens if you crimp yellow in the receptical designed for Blue or red i.e too much pressure.

Yellow = Largest hole closest to handle
Blue = 2nd Largest
Red = smallest on the end

Otherwise ignore me :)

You might be crimping in the wrong place, or your crimpers might need calibrating.
Try practicing on the smaller sizes first.

Something is certainly wrong if the former is going through or biting in to the insulation.

The insulated type i use for my personal bits and bob's are heat shrinkable, which is very handy on the through type crimps...

Something is certainly wrong if the former is going through or biting in to the insulation.

The insulated type i use for my personal bits and bob's are heat shrinkable, which is very handy on the through type crimps...
The insulation is only really relevant on the through type crimps as with the other types there should be some other way of keeping the metal conductors apart.
I'm not sure if I'd try heat shrinking my personal bits and bobs, but whatever floats your boat.

You can adjust the crimping force on the ratchets.

I got the crimper as posted earlier in pic and can i adjust the force? Dont know about you guys but i do always seem to have not enough compression when say crimping a yellow in the yellow compressor section. i always get alittle push and pull on the cable, i always seem to have to go to next size to get that real bite. I always stick alittle bit of tape around the finished crimp with colour too suit too.

just checked my receipt and looked on the TLC website and what i ordered was the DVDHCR15, which are the red handled set shown above, what they have sent me are blue handled and i couldn't see them on the site. I'll be phoning them later to see what they are playing at.

In other words then, they have sent you a crimp tool for uninsulated crimps, they have a sort of tooth shaped former, that deforms the conductor within the crimp/ferrule in a sort of shallow u shape....

Spoke to TLC this morning and accepted their mistake and they are sending me the correct crimpers out today. Thanks for all the help and advice

Reply to Crimping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net