Discuss Dangerous to put supply on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there guys. I am working as a maintenance electrician in an office block. There are Shower rooms on some of the floors, with electric shower units in the Shower cubicles. These are your ordinary White plastic units with the flexible hose coming out of the bottom. I had to check the supply to them. I was told they were put in about 5 years ago. I noticed that they all have a piece of top cover plate missing, you can look down and see the supply cables coming in to the units through the wall. The hole is big enough to get three fingers in it. You cant touch the cables as they are further down. You cant see the actual termination points, as these are behind the moulded plastic of the unit. Water could still get in on the cables as well as condensation. They each come from a normal 40 Amp breaker not an RCD. I told this to my boss, he still wants me to turn them on. I am not going to put power to them. If I did , what Laws or Regulations would I be breaking. Anyone know. Thank you all for any replies in advance.

You say your boss wants you to turn them on, why were they previously turned off?
How long have they been off and are you and your boss aware of Legionella particularly in relation to showers?

What were you checking when you "checked the supply to them"?

p.s keep a record of who said what to whom and when.

Electricity at Work Regulations (1989)
The Electricity at Work Regulations apply to all aspects of the use of electricity within the workplace.
They place duties on employers, employees and the self-employed to prevent danger and carry out work on electrical systems in a way that prevents danger.

Are they locked off, or disconnected at the moment?
Whats to stop anyone else turning them on?

You're right not to if you think they are in a dangerous condition. Get that down in writing, even an email or text to your boss.
If someone else does it, and something happens... youve got back up.

However, refusing to follow boss's instructions could cause ill feeling.

Obviously can’t see the showers in question but some do have a space at back for surface mounted pipes and cables. You can look down this void. If you feel it’s dangerous would agree not to turn on.

Hi there guys. I am working as a maintenance electrician in an office block. There are Shower rooms on some of the floors, with electric shower units in the Shower cubicles. These are your ordinary White plastic units with the flexible hose coming out of the bottom. I had to check the supply to them. I was told they were put in about 5 years ago. I noticed that they all have a piece of top cover plate missing, you can look down and see the supply cables coming in to the units through the wall. The hole is big enough to get three fingers in it. You cant touch the cables as they are further down. You cant see the actual termination points, as these are behind the moulded plastic of the unit. Water could still get in on the cables as well as condensation. They each come from a normal 40 Amp breaker not an RCD. I told this to my boss, he still wants me to turn them on. I am not going to put power to them. If I did , what Laws or Regulations would I be breaking. Anyone know. Thank you all for any replies in advance.
I'd start with an email airing your concerns, if you believe tht process to be unsafe (and feel the 'just get it turned on' attitude/approach to be safe then mention in your email and that you are discharging your duty of care under Regulation 29 of EAWR and that you believe the instruction is not pursuant with Regulation 4(3) of the same act.

This is your 'due diligence' defense, if you are then forced to undertake the work then thr employer will have thier balls in a vice if something goes wrong

I'd start with an email airing your concerns, if you believe tht process to be unsafe (and feel the 'just get it turned on' attitude/approach to be safe then mention in your email and that you are discharging your duty of care under Regulation 29 of EAWR and that you believe the instruction is not pursuant with Regulation 4(3) of the same act.

This is your 'due diligence' defense, if you are then forced to undertake the work then thr employer will have thier balls in a vice if something goes wrong
Thanks very much for your reply.

Are they locked off, or disconnected at the moment?
Whats to stop anyone else turning them on?

You're right not to if you think they are in a dangerous condition. Get that down in writing, even an email or text to your boss.
If someone else does it, and something happens... youve got back up.

However, refusing to follow boss's instructions could cause ill feeling.

You say your boss wants you to turn them on, why were they previously turned off?
How long have they been off and are you and your boss aware of Legionella particularly in relation to showers?

What were you checking when you "checked the supply to them"?

p.s keep a record of who said what to whom and when.

Electricity at Work Regulations (1989)
The Electricity at Work Regulations apply to all aspects of the use of electricity within the workplace.
They place duties on employers, employees and the self-employed to prevent danger and carry out work on electrical systems in a way that prevents danger.

You're paid to do a job because of your qualifications and experience. Do the job you're paid for. Notify your senior/manager by email, hand delivery and recorder post, Refuse to connect and be done with it.
I'd personally lock-off or disconnect at the DB - it's the responsible thing.
Condemn the showers in writing.

Reply to Dangerous to put supply on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net