Discuss Davesparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The irony is the "line in the sand" for Brexit over fishing rights, yet the West end theatre alone contributes more to the countries GDP and is sidelined! At least one of my mates is also totally screwed (drum technician for live shows) so I know it is pretty grim for many folk. At least the folk on here have some sort of alternative business for just now, even if it is difficult as out of the usual circle of contacts.
Not sure I see the irony with that...

Brexit and Covid are two very different issues. The issue with theatres is that they tend to be small with very close seating... so high risk for spreading viruses. Not an easy way to fix that one. Maybe seal everyone into a plastic bubble of some sort. There's already ooodles of financial help for affected people. As far as I know... I don't think it's been deliberately 'sidelined'

The Brexit issue is all about France wanting continued access to our fishing grounds as if we were still a member of the EU (it's blatant 'cherry picking' that Barnier & co. told us was not acceptable). Access to our fishing grounds is not for financial reasons... but for reasons of sovereignty over our waters. As I understand it... we've offered the EU an annual licence arrangement, but they want permanent access.

FWIW I haven't heard back yet. But I can go for days without being able to answer calls, I've worked up to 45 hours at a stretch without a break, so he might be tied up in that kind of situation.

Serious question, what doed a drum technecian do?
Ensure drums are usable, skins in good condition and tuned correctly. This can vary depending on the type of music. This could involve percussion and any other percussive instruments.

Mic drums up and mix through house PA.

Usually a drum tech merges into a sound guy too. Mixing and recording the all instruments and shows.

Exactly. Many bands have electronic drum machine(s) in addition to both electronic and skin-style drums to be mic'ed up for live play. And some of those drum machines can get/sent triggers to other instruments (keyboards, etc), to sync play sequences, etc.

Serious question, what doed a drum technecian do?
A drum tech is an experienced part of a stage team, often themselves a multi-skilled musician. Apart from the physical stuff like being able to 'tip' (empty) and 'get-out' (repack) a 40' artic in about half an hour whilst directing 20 local crew they've not met before and who may not have English as a first language, at 8am, they have a personal knowledge of how the performer plays, the position of the equipment and so forth. They will then tune the drumskins (yep, they actually get tuned) and often will play them immitating the style of the performer so that the sound engineer has the basis of a sound check before the band have even arrived. That's the old school stuff, new stage technology often involves what we call click tracks (so that's basically something that only the drummer will hear in order to keep various tempo's to a certain time-line to match with things like the timing of video clips (if your music is set to a clip on a big screen behind you, you can't see it.... pretty poor if you finish the live track a few seconds out of synch!) and then off of that are things like midi-triggers which send digital signals to other instruments, electronic/synth drum pads etc. And they do that until 2am the next morning, wake up often in a different country, and do it again.

Wait, what? You thought it was Phil Collins in that Gorilla suit???

Wait, what? You thought it was Phil Collins in that Gorilla suit???
LOL!

My mate is much as you say: was a drummer in a band called Rig a long time ago (musically good, but no mainstream success), then helped record/produce a lot of Manchester stuff, last I saw him he was just beck fron supporting a tour by the Libertines in the east.

Reply to Davesparks in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net