Discuss Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guys reign the attitude in or we will see a few holiday breaks, give constuctive advice be it negative or positive but stop the personal attacks and attemps to derail the thread, OP has asked the experienced for advice and what i am reading is dragging the forum down in some responses.. get off your high horses and either help or dont post@

Don't think it was aimed at you Buzz you always reply with the best intentions.

I think that's exactly who it was aimed at, him and a few others make this place very hostile at times and very unwelcoming to genuine people who's only crime is that they know less than him.
Shame really as the forem is great apart from a cliquey few who can't wait to jump in with snide remarks and pathetic comments that make new posters think twice about coming back.

@buzz - I perused the thread and I posted on the general direction it was going, had it been the case anyone had gone beyond what we tolerate then we would have PM them first as it stood I decided a nudge would suffice... feel free to PM me if you need but forun rules are there to protect members regardless of background and or experience.

I feel for you notyetaspark I went down the same sort of route. I wanted to be come a sparky and started at 22 so I was to old to get a proper apprenticeship and had to fund my own college while working for agency's. I did my full technical certificate while working for agency's as a mate while going to college a day a week and it is difficult.

The best advice I can give I to just work hard show them you can do the easy stuff and keep asking to do harder stuff and they will start giving you it. I got my first big break by offering to work on weekends as most sparks for the agency I worked for would not do weekends so it was usually just me and 1 actual spark and that's where I started doing the proper work helping him and maby I was lucky as he actually tried to teach me unlike some sparks you see on site. That's why when ever I work with mates now I always try to teach them and not just tell them to do this and that but actually try to teach them the ins and outs or it and why we are actually doing it and if any problems come up try and get them to have a think what needs doing before I tell them what to do.

It's a hard road when your not employed as a apprentice but you will get there in the end and if your any thing like I was you will end up with a load of experiance in many different sectors of electrical installation.

Good luck.

Sorry for the essay.

I feel for you notyetaspark I went down the same sort of route. I wanted to be come a sparky and started at 22 so I was to old to get a proper apprenticeship and had to fund my own college while working for agency's. I did my full technical certificate while working for agency's as a mate while going to college a day a week and it is difficult.

The best advice I can give I to just work hard show them you can do the easy stuff and keep asking to do harder stuff and they will start giving you it. I got my first big break by offering to work on weekends as most sparks for the agency I worked for would not do weekends so it was usually just me and 1 actual spark and that's where I started doing the proper work helping him and maby I was lucky as he actually tried to teach me unlike some sparks you see on site. That's why when ever I work with mates now I always try to teach them and not just tell them to do this and that but actually try to teach them the ins and outs or it and why we are actually doing it and if any problems come up try and get them to have a think what needs doing before I tell them what to do.

It's a hard road when your not employed as a apprentice but you will get there in the end and if your any thing like I was you will end up with a load of experiance in many different sectors of electrical installation.

Good luck.

Sorry for the essay.
Don't be sorry for the essay mate
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reply to Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net