Discuss Do you need experience to do an EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

ffm

Dear all,

How much experience do you think you need to do an EICR 1. Domestically and 2. Commercially.

I have been told that some Competent Person Schemes will insist on previous experience others will not.

Given what you are assessing and the potential risk/insurance implications do you think that completing the 17th Ed alone is good enough, or should you have the 2391 (or equivalent) or should you also have x years experience?

We live and operate in changing times. Years ago the PIR was done by experienced electricians but now you can do these straight from college (and I guess following a four/six week career changing course - yes I am referring to the "infamous" 4-6 wk fast tracks). Does anyone have any insights as to how insurance companies and legal bodies view what qualifies as "competent"?

Also, does it actually matter? I am sure we have all seen the "fly-by" EICRs and the shoddy ones too - but has anyone actually taken the inspector to task over poorly or incompetently conducted PIRs/EICRs? And if so, what happened?

For reference, I have been doing PIRs and EICRs for more years than I care to remember and I have clear views on this, but am starting to wonder if I am getting out of touch with current standards/thoughts.

Any comments, greatly appreciated,

FFM

Well,the question boils down to acceptance
The schemes can seem irrelevant,however,the Pir is only as good as the assurance that backs it up
It can be carried out and compiled by anyone who happens to think they are competent
The competence can be demonstrated by qualification and experience ie the 2391
I can't see a client being sympathetic to anyone who cannot get their competence endorsed by either a scheme or through holding qualification

The short course electrical worker ( I hesitate to use the term spark) would have great difficulty getting their reports accepted by those with influence
Of course we are in a world where a satisfactory report is the only interest amongst the client,yet the client has to have that report accepted by insurance companies and councils etc

The Pir should be done by a spark with an above average knowledge of the work that is being inspected, but it is not always the case,but on the whole the circumstances can restrict the work to those who can demonstrate competence

There is no need for "scheme" membership to undertake EICR's BUT you need to be competent, which is knowledge built up over many years across different installations.

Professional Indemnity Insurance is recommended.

Having transitioned over from forty years installing/being supervised (lazy brain), to 2395 and again being supervised doing commercial EICR (some domestic) over the past few years. There is no doubt you need experience and mentoring. There is no way I could just do the 2395 and then air drop me into a large installation (commercial) and think I am ever coming out of there. I would have been lost without someone who did the 2391 years ago and has been doing inspection ever since. I must say I take my hat of to him. He seemed to have x-ray eyes and a very acute eyesight and a vast knowledge which I picked up or osmosed from him (well a lot anyway). Also a very exacting character everything had to be just so, I must admit I did sigh sometimes going back and forth. Without that baptism in fire so to speak, for which I am most grateful! I would in no way be safe or able to go and do an EICR on my own. Its one thing in the classroom, but so different faced with maybe 80 DB and maybe ten ccts per. Yes the testing theory and maths is fine coursewise, however the course alone cannot prepare you for that. It is expected you will have experience in the field prior to taking the course but I am sure some don't. I am still cautious and still learning as no doubt I will continue to do so.

Reply to Do you need experience to do an EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net