Discuss Document P and the law..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Could anyone clarify this question for me?

At college we had it drummed into us that notification of a part p job is down to the customer and not the sparky.

We were told that we could register as a scheme member and subit the forms ourselves or we could inform the customer that although certs could be issued by the sparky, the customer would have to notify LABC, in order to get the job nspected and tested and signed off.

This is a general query which l have spoken to other sparkys about again and again.

My question. Is the customer responsible for notification or not?

If you are NOT registered, the homeowner has to notify LABC prior to you starting the work, pay their fees and then you can do the work. LABC will then send someone along to test it etc.

People who complain about the scheme fees are mad IMHO as its not a lot compared to lost business because you can't sign it off and save the client money.

I agree with the above, The cost of a few big jobs covers the cost for the scheme.. Its a no brainer if you are intending to do a lot. Altherwise the customer is looking at an expensive consuimer unit change and to be honast a bit of a faff. Regestered sparks on notifiable jobs often work out cheaper. (I say often)

At college we had it drummed into us that notification of a part p job is down to the customer and not the sparky.
Are you saying that the college tell you that it's down to the customer so you can do the work regardless?
OR is that what you are asking in your final question?

We were told that we could register as a scheme member and subit the forms ourselves or we could inform the customer that although certs could be issued by the sparky, the customer would have to notify LABC, in order to get the job nspected and tested and signed off.
Correct.

Could anyone clarify this question for me?

This is a general query which l have spoken to other sparkys about again and again.

Yes it is the person ordering the work, or ultimately the householder who is responsible for making notification.
This can be done by three methods.
Pre-notification by notifying something like 48 hours in advance, paying quite a substantial fee then having the work inspected.
By employing someone who is a member of a competent person or self certification scheme, and the person conducting the work arranges the notification.
Retrosective notification, where the work is notified after the fact, an EICR or 3 part EIC (depending upon which Council) is issued and a much higher fee than for pre-notification is paid.

Are you saying that the college tell you that it's down to the customer so you can do the work regardless?
OR is that what you are asking in your final question?

No Geoffsd, the college did not instruct us that we could do the work regardless, merely that the customer is responsible for notification. My friends, also sparkys, are under the impression that the work could be done regardless, as they think that its down to the customer to do everything.

I was trying to clarify where this stood in a legal argument, if this happened and the LABC had to be contacted afterwards and what effect, if any, would this have on the sparky.

Would the sparky get into trouble by LABC for doing the work unregistered, if the customer didnt notify LABC.

Just to point out, this isnt actually happening. Its one of those many 'what if' scenarios we talk about on a regular basis...

The LABC could only take action against the sparky, if their work did not comply with the Building Regulations.
If the LABC were to take action against anyone because work had not been notified, they would take action against the householder.
The only time the Local Authority would get involved, would be if the sparky had fraudulently claimed to be a member of a Part P scheme.
Then it would not be the LABC that would get involved, but Trading Standards.

Reply to Document P and the law..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net