Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

fortunately i don't have to touch it. pub landlord had asked brewery to sort it several times but no go. all i have to do is give him ( in writing ) that it's dangerous and an immediate fire hazard so he might get some sense out of the tight fisted buggers.

Here's some photos from my collection of horrors .....

Ceiling Pendant Used As 3-Way Junction Box.jpg

Unenclosed Joint.jpg

Bare Insulation.jpg

Junction Box Didsaster.jpg

Junction Box Didsaster 2.jpg

Burnt Terminal.jpg

Burnt Neutral Bar.jpg

Shower Cable On Staircase.jpg

Shower Cable Landing.jpg

Bad Connections.jpg

Last edited:
That shower cable was discovered during an EICR that I did last December. Curious as to how Mr. Wetpants managed to install a cable supplying a shower circuit within a modern property with sheeted flooring without damaging any of the plasterboard walls, I decided to trace the cable run. Upon rolling-back the carpet at the top landing, I realised that the imbecile had simply drilled a hole between one of the steps to inside the cupboard on the ground floor where the consumer unit is located. He then ran the cable across the stairs and up to the top landing whereupon he drilled a hole through the top step to gain access beneath the landing floor. Further holes were then drilled in the landing flooring so he could guide the cable towards a linen cupboard. Once inside the cupboard he ran the cable up into the loft and across to a 45 amp pullcord switch. Naturally, the numpty left the cable dangling inside the linen cupboard.

Fortunately, because the property owner hired a joiner to replace the sections of damaged flooring, the job of rewiring the circuit and upgrading the cable to 10mm was made considerably easier. No RCD protection was provided for the circuit so a consumer unit upgrade was also required. All in all, a very profitable discovery indeed!

Not at 'trade pic' as such but after replacing some down lights for a friend they mentioned that similar down lights in two upstairs bedrooms had stopped working. I had a quick scoopys in the loft area...

IMG_3451.JPG

Not at 'trade pic' as such but after replacing some down lights for a friend they mentioned that similar down lights in two upstairs bedrooms had stopped working. I had a quick scoopys in the loft area...

View attachment 38389

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of these DIY jobs have been done using T&E with a white sheath? Whenever I come across T&E with a white sheath I assume until proven otherwise that the job was done by a DIYer who bought all the materials from Wickes! I may well be wrong, but I'm unaware of any other outlet that sold white-sheathed 6242Y T&E.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of these DIY jobs have been done using T&E with a white sheath? Whenever I come across T&E with a white sheath I assume until proven otherwise that the job was done by a DIYer who bought all the materials from Wickes! I may well be wrong, but I'm unaware of any other outlet that sold white-sheathed 6242Y T&E.
I may be wrong here but I recall when we had red and black etc (old proper colours) the cable sheath of cable sold south of Watford was white.

Interesting you say it's a DIY job. The house is a barn conversion and just next to this birds nest they've just had a new hot water tank installed and get the impression this was left over. The board the JB is fixed to is just lying loose on top of the joists.

LSF? Yes south of Watford we do tend to get a bit more sun light. Could it have faded in the intense brightness we get in our lofts down here in Surrey and Hampshire. Usually intended brightness in lofts is down to cannabis grows., but that's another thread!

Interesting you say it's a DIY job. The house is a barn conversion and just next to this birds nest they've just had a new hot water tank installed and get the impression this was left over. The board the JB is fixed to is just lying loose on top of the joists.

I'd be very surprised indeed if this was done by a professional electrician. Everything I see here tells me it was a DIY job. You have provided further evidence by confirming that the enclosure was not adequately secured to the building structure.

View attachment 38389

Well at least its nicely labelled!

And to clear up the white outer sheathing thing before we "harmonised" with Europe Twin and Earth cable only came with a white sheath. When we harmonised, the sheathing become Grey, then later LSF appeared with a b******d to strip white sheath! :mad:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock