Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Installed many of those Bentall (?) roller mills over the years. Learnt that to increase reliability, it was a good idea to remove all starter gear from the mill, and, in the case of single phase motors, the start/run capacitors as well, and mount it all on a nearby wall. The vibration from these things, especially when the rollers get pitted, would shake contactors to pieces and wear through the cans of capacitors.

@brianmoooore I have soo many pictures like this from the last 20 or so years I'm glad of cloud storage!😄
Yes the wooden wedge bodge, I've come across that a few times. The last one was on an old floor scrape system and was swapped between the forward & reverse contactors when it got to the end of the scrape.
amazingly the capacitors apart from being shot were in surprisingly good condition, they were wrapped in a pink sleeve of some description and the inside of the metal case was rubber with cardboard around the caps (the cardboard had 2/2/40 written on it.) I need to find some new caps and a contactor to get it going again!

I bought a new handle for the boot carpet cover on my car, the thing arrived OK, but the springs and screws where missing, I contacted the seller and they came back with this: "We are sorry to hear you have a problem, can you please send a clear picture of the item" how can you send a picture of an item that is missing 🤡 answers on a postcard please. 🙄

I only link this video here because it highlights the awful state of electrics in other countries...I mean, those cables crossing the street> Plus, the string of lamps in the bar...what were they thinking? They are clearly dodgy!
Like minded electricians have obviously been watching this, hence it has more than 7 billion views...7 BILLION! Nick Bundy, eat your heart out!

I mean, honestly, those festoon lights are a hazard, and likely to be a problem with premature failure in the event of fire...the cable could just collapse!

It looks as though the middle two N connections at the meter are the opposite was around to normal, somewhat adding to the confusion.
From left to right at meter I think we have supply L, load N, supply N, load L.
Is there any main earthing going to the switched fuses on the left?
It looks as though the middle two N connections at the meter are the opposite was around to normal, somewhat adding to the confusion.

have to disagree there. looks likre N from fuse to Henley on the left of the meter, gthen into term;2 on meter. then terminal 3 to henley that's next to the fuse, then on to the circuits.

have to disagree there. looks likre N from fuse to Henley on the left of the meter, gthen into term;2 on meter. then terminal 3 to henley that's next to the fuse, then on to the circuits.
Even though I was there, I didn’t notice the neutrals… so I’m going by the photograph.

If the meter terms are numbered 1,2,3,4 from left… I see supply line from fuse into 1. Then neutral load going to the Henley to the left of meter from 2. There are outgoing neutrals from this Henley.
The neutral on 3 goes to Henley just above the fuse, which I’m taking as supply, next to earth Henley.
4 is load line

So I’m on the side of 2 and 3 mixed.

Not that it makes any difference, right? The meter doesn’t slow down or anything

i think the henley just to the left of meter is fed from the fuse, which would make the meter terminals correct.

and that could be a cracking upgrade by replacing the switches with a long slim din rail box with a new CU directly below. gland all the conduits into the ntop of the din rail box and extend with din rail connectors.

Does this make it any clearer?

619211CB-C2F5-4A8F-80E8-41482D8FCC28.png

Accumulative earth faults?

That’s a lot of sockets on one rcd.

There is from the RCD going left.

40A cooker
40A shower
40A second shower
32A ring to 6 2gang garage workshop sockets
32A ring to 7 2gang sockets in an office area
32A ring to 12 2gang sockets downstairs
32A ring to 14 2gang sockets upstairs
32A ring to 9 2gang sockets in hall, entrance foyer and utility.
6A radial to boiler
16A radial to 3 x 2gang outdoor sockets.

So I’m surmising the RCD has been overworked a tad.

The customer had a N-E-L fault on their ring. The previous electrician had moved it off the RCD as a 'temporary' measure. I could hear arching coming from inside of a wall when the cable was live. Found this buried within the cement render. A previous spark had jointed a leg of the 2.5mm ring and buried it.

Not sure if it was the damp, a bad connection or a combination but it sure went pop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 20.42.26.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
The customer had a N-E-L fault on their ring. The previous electrician had moved it off the RCD as a 'temporary' measure. I could hear arching coming from inside of a wall when the cable was live. Found this buried within the cement render. A previous spark had jointed a leg of the 2.5mm ring and buried it.

Not sure if it was the damp, a bad connection or a combination but it sure went pop.
I wonder if that was a underrated joint used and it’s let go over time? Either way it’s not special for the customer.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock