SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Does this contravene any regs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MacSparky

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok i understand the implications of having every circuit on a main RCD only,....ie possible health and safety implications of complete power-out, but does having a cu with an rcd as the main switch and just mcb's ( not split load) actually contravene any regs 16th/17th....
if so which ones?:confused:

I have looked through the 17th but cant find anything concrete:(

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shakey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok i understand the implications of having every circuit on a main RCD only,....ie possible health and safety implications of complete power-out, but does having a cu with an rcd as the main switch and just mcb's ( not split load) actually contravene any regs 16th/17th....
if so which ones?:confused:

I have looked through the 17th but cant find anything concrete:(
yes, it contravnes 314.1 in the 17th

M

MacSparky

Thanks shakey, i see 314.2 also makes a good statement.:)

R

Reg Man

yes, it contravnes 314.1 in the 17th
I'm sorry would you please explain further. I cannot see anything in the above paragraph suggesting that an RCD cannot be used as a main switch. I must be missing the point here. Trouble with BS7671 it all depends how it's interpreted.:)

E

EasyFox

I'm sorry would you please explain further. I cannot see anything in the above paragraph suggesting that an RCD cannot be used as a main switch. I must be missing the point here. Trouble with BS7671 it all depends how it's interpreted.:)

Well an rcd as a main switch when tripped due to the failure of a circuit or due to nuisance tripping will affect all other circuits wont it ;)

R

Reg Man

Well an rcd as a main switch when tripped due to the failure of a circuit or due to nuisance tripping will affect all other circuits wont it ;)
I do take your point on board BUT none the less it does not mention that an 'RCD' cannot be used as a main switch. Emergency lights should all have come on and smoke detectors or fire panels due to the battery back up required, are all running. No safety issue there.
I'm sorry, I don't install one as a main switch myself but here in N.Ireland (OK I know it's Ireland) they all do it. be it a 100mA or even a 30mA. Electricians here also have to work to BS7671. NICEIC never say they can't have them either.
I do understand the nuisance tripping also BUT in my experience, generally the customers faulty appliance is the cause of the nuisance unless there happens to be something with high leakage currents, in which case there is a design floor with the install.

S

Shakey

I do take your point on board BUT none the less it does not mention that an 'RCD' cannot be used as a main switch. Emergency lights should all have come on and smoke detectors or fire panels due to the battery back up required, are all running. No safety issue there.
I'm sorry, I don't install one as a main switch myself but here in N.Ireland (OK I know it's Ireland) they all do it. be it a 100mA or even a 30mA. Electricians here also have to work to BS7671. NICEIC never say they can't have them either.
I do understand the nuisance tripping also BUT in my experience, generally the customers faulty appliance is the cause of the nuisance unless there happens to be something with high leakage currents, in which case there is a design floor with the install.
thats right, because an RCD CSN be used as a main switch, as long as 314.1 still applies

under the 16th, it was common to use an 100mA S type as the main switch, and 30mA for sockets etc, but this (mostly) wont be the case in the 17th

and of course lots of people do lots of things, because the regs are non-statutory, but it is clear that a 30mA as a main switch would contravene 314.1

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Does this contravene any regs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom