Discuss Done something a bit silly, need a rant. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OllieNotts

As anyone who has read my concerns already about my 2330 level 2 course started a month ago I wasn't happy with the way things were going. Well today was no different but I've gone and walked out of class in anger!
Turned up for morning theory, all fine and then the tutor explains that there is over 50 of us in workshop this afternoon because they still have two tutors down. FFS so fair enough we go to lunch and come back. We get our boards and find a space, he has invited three ex-students of his all now I presume working in the trade to help. So 15 minutes in and I am still standing like a **** in the corner of the room, the tutor comes and says what are you waiting for? I reply "instruction would be a start". So he then looks at my board, in 4 weeks and this being the 5th I have managed a one way lighting circuit on the board that hasnt been tested, nor do I have any idea how I put it together. I see other lads in there working from our work book. He says I will go and get us a tester. 20 mins later I am still standing in the corner like a **** and decide enough is enough I am going home.
I know I shouldn't of acted so hastily but I feel like I am getting nowhere. I am giving up time with my family and wages to even do this course for which I am now getting ear ache off the mrs as we dont spend enough time together and when we do I am usually shattered as I can't get into sleeping in the day so I am living off 4 hours sleep half the week. We can not plan a holiday next year, in fact we've gone from having a decent disposable income to sweet F.A and are on the verge of month to month living. A consequence I knew was likely for a while when starting the course but I am learning NOTHING! We are not in at all tomorrow as there just isnt enough tutors, and if it isnt enough that we are already the group most behind we now get another day off much the joy of the younger "rude boy" waste of oxygens specimens in my class. We were told last week they probably wont put us through the level 3 next year as they wont have enough money so it will be the new job where we need an apprenticeship and at 29 and not currently having the certificates proving I have 5 C's or above no bugger is likely to give me one. The reason I dont have the proof is I dont have the quals. So I feel like I have wasted a MASSIVE opportunity to get out of a career I hate living for and just dont know what do with myself.
Melodramtic? maybe, but with 5 mouths to feed and a roof to keep over my head everything seems to be going against me and the light I had at the end of the tunnel is shrinking more and more each time I go to college. I really dont want to give up but I feel like I am getting no where and all the time I could be earning even though I hate my job we still need money.
Anyway sorry for the essay it wasnt intended I just dont know where to go from here, was thinking of ringing the attendance women and explaining why I have ****ed off without warning as telling the tutor(the head of dept) is a waste of time he isnt interested nothing is his fault bla bla bla.

Does your college have a charter? They are under contract to provide you with tutors. But you realy need to think about how much you want this and be prepared to work for it, Remember this, No one is there to teach you, you are there to learn, hard, I realise when there is no one about. you will have to make yourself noticed and if that means constantly reminding your lecturer then so be it, you wont lose marks. Unfortunately the standards being taught in colleges around the country is poor at best. I left my local college because they kept reducing our teaching areas and resources. Back on the tools now.

I don't know about charter, they wont/can't even give us a timetable yet as they don't have any tutors to allocate group sessions to! It's all a bit ad hoc. I was under the impression that I am there to be instructed not to instruct the tutors to teach maybe I have this learning thing all wrong? I want it badly, very badly. But who is gonna give a 29 year old an apprenticeship when I dont even have the 5 C grades required for every one I have seen? I think I may be in for a wasted year of education the way its going. Cant carry on next year without the job anyway so it could all be a complete waste of time while my finances just get worse and worse.
All feeling very negative this afternoon.

Try to stay positive and run through the things you HAVE learned so far. Easy to say and very difficult to do, however you will not be able to continue to help yourself if you become too despondent; concentrate on other options and possibilities, do not dwell on the problem with this college, but do try to find a suitable resolution.

I would expect the college does not really want to provide this poor level of service, however as this is affecting your life some remedial action should be taken.
It may be worth looking to see if there are other training providers near you with whom you could take the course, Possibly discussing with your current college that since they are unable to provide the correct learning environment they should arrange a transfer for you to another learning establishment. Obviously they would be returning your course fees to allow this to happen.

Best of luck

I know I thought of ringing the tutor and trying to sort something out as all I need now is other lads to follow suit and him be left with chaos because one lad went home without asking. Im not proud of my actions, but felt it better then flipping my lid at a ridiculous sham of a college experience so far. They did promise us we would do the level 3 next year but unfortunately as stated have already gone back on their word due to things beyond their control. I can not afford to waste any time in my life training for something that will be useless to me next year.
Anyway had a beer now to chill out, waffle could go on so will leave it there. Thanks for your input its appreciated. I am hoping a good nights sleep on it will make me think a bit differently tomorrow.

Reply to Done something a bit silly, need a rant. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net