Discuss Drilled through light cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Absolute rookie error… renovating the downstairs bathroom and drilled a hole in the wall for a shelf, went straight through the cable for the light switch on the opposite side of the wall.

Kicking myself because I actually have a wire detector and didn’t use it.

Spark came out of the hole and all downstairs lights went dark, lucky I didn’t electrocute myself really!

Checked fuse box and the downstairs lights fuse switch was down, flicked it back up to see if the remaining lights would work and it sparked and flicked straight back down again.

My question is can I get away with cutting a hole in the dry wall and crimping the wires and plastering back over? My only concern is that the fuse switch sparked and flicked straight back off, not sure if this means the fuse box/earth could have been damaged and I need to get a sparky out?

Cheers

Don't keep trying to reset it. Make the hole in the wall and show a pic of the cable.
Haven’t tried flicking it back on since pal, thought best not to try! Attached pictures of the offending cable, thanks for the replies so far 👍

Attachments

• 042B8A19-9A63-4806-82AB-775B194376CF.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 0D244C9D-C59C-4398-84C4-62EE901BB5B9.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 50
I’ve attached some more photos without the grey protective covering and the light that this powers 👍 thanks guys! I can take the light fixture off to show the wiring directly to the light if needed

Attachments

• 082692DC-74D3-4599-B932-92269B982084.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 46
  • 627CDDDF-0E52-4EC0-83E7-8CDE1CA875DD.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 48
Don’t know if it’s worth mentioning that there are actually two light switches to the light fixture (no idea why)

I only use one of them, and I have drilled through the one that I do not use
It is very much worth mentioning. We are close to the limit of what the forum rules allow regarding step by step instructions, for safety reasons.
Take the cover off both light switches. One of them will have two cables in. One of them will have one.
Hopefully the one you do not use has just one.
Post clear photos of the back of both.

It is very much worth mentioning. We are close to the limit of what the forum rules allow regarding step by step instructions, for safety reasons.
Take the cover off both light switches. One of them will have two cables in. One of them will have one.
Hopefully the one you do not use has just one.
Post clear photos of the back of both.
Hopefully I’ve struck lucky! The one I do not use has one, the one I do use has two! Pictures of both attached 👍

Attachments

• 39AA6139-B69A-42C9-80D6-21CFE00FB91C.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 49EEFA2F-C287-4BB5-B3EA-668B41BECA57.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 39
Hopefully I’ve struck lucky! The one I do not use has one, the one I do use has two! Pictures of both attached 👍
You did. Turn power off.
At the switch with lots of wires:
disconnect, remove and set aside the wires from the red, yellow, blue cable (that is damaged further along). Cut the very ends off and tape up well.
The leaves you two red wires belonging to the same cable. Connect them to Common and 1, either way around.
Leave all the yellow/green sleeved stuff alone.
Put that switch back together.
Your lights should now not trip.

Last edited:
You did. Turn power off.
At the switch with lots of wires:
disconnect, remove and set aside the wires from the red, yellow, blue cable (that is damaged further along). Cut the very ends off and tape up well.
The leaves you two red wires belonging to the same cable. Connect them to Common and 1, either way around.
Leave all the yellow/green sleeved stuff alone.
Put that switch back together.
Your lights should now not trip.
Cannot thank you enough, you’re an absolute star. Worked like a charm!!! Saved me a hell of a lot of hassle and money, all lighting back on! 😊👍

Reply to Drilled through light cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net