Discuss Duraplug 4 way leads. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 9648

Doing a pat test this week I came across several duraplug 4 way leads..(the 4 socket bar type)..not new but not all that old. It was possible, with out much effort to pull apart the two parts of the plastic case far enough to expose the live parts within. First thought they must be broken,but all the fixing screws were in place and it appeared to be a design fault........one to be aware of,not come across this before....I failed them all.

Doing a pat test this week I came across several duraplug 4 way leads..(the 4 socket bar type)..not new but not all that old. It was possible, with out much effort to pull apart the two parts of the plastic case far enough to expose the live parts within. First thought they must be broken,but all the fixing screws were in place and it appeared to be a design fault........one to be aware of,not come across this before....I failed them all.

Wow, were they actually Duraplug or just that type?

They were duraplug branded....black case......by gripping the two halves of the case on a corner it was easily possible to separate them far enough to touch live bits,definately not good.

That was an excellent observation especially if they are the genuine article,

I was wondering what to make of this description of conformity ?

A range of UK manufactured mains connectors, all in accordance with BS1363/A (13 amp) or BS546 (15 amp).

Note: These connectors are approved for use in the UK and certain other non-European countries only. ( my bold)That was a supplier description

The problem with a lot of familliar brands are that the manufacturing has emigrated overseas
MK state "made in the UK".but thats probably untrue

'Made in the UK' often tends to mean the parts are manufactured under license in the Far East and the thing is assembled in the UK to avoid the higher import taxes on finished items.

They are the best 4 ways you can get in my opinion but that said, I have 150 of them here that I am making into extension leads and I have found 3 so far that have stripped threads on the terminal screws!!!

Reply to Duraplug 4 way leads. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net