• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Earth bond to external oil boiler.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

Electrician's Arms
External oil boiler, (just outside kitchen) oil pipe buried through garden to tank. Plumber says it doesnt need bonding as its outside? Am i missing something?? Copper pipes entering house from boiler.
Thoughts

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - guessing the boiler will be earthed via cpc, but any pipe entering the house may need bonding I'd have thought. Perhaps confirm installation instructions whether the external boiler, external oil tank and pipework needs any special treatment. Maybe Mr Plumber's done that?

Last edited:

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
The oil pipe won't if it doesn't enter the building. The ch primaries are likely to need bonding where they enter the building if they are metallic.

cliffed

Regular EF Member
The last one I did the oil pipe was plastic,but if it’s metal & enters the house then it needs to be bonded.
Just like back in the good old days.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Don't listen to a plumber!!
As above, incoming metallic pipework that is extraneous will need bonding at the point of entry
I've altered that, like some do; I'd argue it needs bonding no matter what they say, in a non Boyszone Kim way.

wirepuller

Forum Mentor
I've altered that, like some do; I'd argue it needs bonding no matter what they say, in a non Boyszone Kim way.
Well the regulations only require the bonding of extraneous conductive parts, you are welcome to waste your time and customers money, I'll stick to the requirements! :)

bigspark17

Electrician's Arms
I agree if the pipes entering the property from the boiler are also copper then this is bringing an extraneous conductive part into the installation and requires a main equipotential bond.
I though that pipes had to be copper within 3 meters of a boiler but could be very wrong on that?!

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
Think it's normally 1m, but don't quote me on that. At the end of the day it's down to the MI's for each boiler.
To an extent, you don't care. If water clown has used plastic then no bond, if it's metallic then bond it.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Well the regulations only require the bonding of extraneous conductive parts, you are welcome to waste your time and customers money, I'll stick to the requirements! :)
Testing, testing. All I would say then, over the course of time, a lot of people have had their time & money wasted.

DNO

Active EF Member
The PME requirements are that the tank/pipework (external) is staked down. Internally, as always a bond is fixed on the consumer side of the tap and any insulated insert. This has nothing to do with wiring regulations which are non mandatory.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.