Search the forum,

Discuss Earth goes bang! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Khan

-
Reaction score
Hi all. Just went to a property where the water and taps were given a shock to the house occupiers. The boiler was cross bonded and had a bonding conductor run to the MET. But however surprisingly the property did not have the main earth. So I had connected a 16mm earth to the ccu and when I was connecting it to the met, it went bang when the 16mm came in contact with the met and let off a little spark. What could this be? The electric was on while I done it, the occupier a has relatives over so could not turn it off.

You have left it in the same unsafe state as when you found it, even though you have been asked to sort it out.

Hope you have good insurance and a even better lawyer.

But what test could I have done if the fault wasn't there at the time I was at the property. You could only test something when the fault is present. No safe isolation wasn't done it was only connecting a earth. We all do a quick fix on a Sunday evening it wasn't dangerous it's all in good working condition

Live taps sound bloody dangerous too me, the earth going bang when you put it I to the MET sounds dangerous to me, a house without a main earth sounds dangerous to me.

Did you test what voltage on the taps?
did you test for voltage across the terminals at the DB.
Why didn't you carry out a global IR?

sounds like someone has borrowed a earth for a neutral somewhere.

Live taps sound bloody dangerous too me, the earth going bang when you put it I to the MET sounds dangerous to me, a house without a main earth sounds dangerous to me.

Did you test what voltage on the taps?
did you test for voltage across the terminals at the DB.
Why didn't you carry out a global IR?

sounds like someone has borrowed a earth for a neutral somewhere.
no...not necessarilly...

sounds like cable/s in contact with hot pipework...

to the OP:

Kiill the power at the incomer...

IR test between each final at the dis-board and pipewirk to verify which circuit is the offender...

And the moral of the story is TEST FIRST
Sounds like that earth was not connected for a reason although not safe , like Dillb says borrowed earth

I would go back to the property apologies and say you need to carry out further tests if the install is a TNCS there is a possibility of a supply fault hence the reason they were getting shocks on the taps, in the event of a fault it doesn't matter if the queen is there you need to carry out safe isolation and the basic tests , start at the beginning quick Ze for starters and works your way round

There's a possibility of a supply fault but it's a long shot compared to the problems being on the consumer side. As stated sort out the main earth fault(s) and test the incoming supply first followed by bonding where necessary followed by testing the circuits etc. There's a good chance there's going to be more than one fault so be methodical and don't skip anything.

The installation is very unsafe at the moment so it needs immediately isolating to prevent someone getting injured. If you're even a little unsure of the testing procedure please get assistance from someone with more experience.

There's a possibility of a supply fault but it's a long shot compared to the problems being on the consumer side. As stated sort out the main earth fault(s) and test the incoming supply first followed by bonding where necessary followed by testing the circuits etc. There's a good chance there's going to be more than one fault so be methodical and don't skip anything.

The installation is very unsafe at the moment so it needs immediately isolating to prevent someone getting injured. If you're even a little unsure of the testing procedure please get assistance from someone with more experience.
you can have a like for it...even though you banned me you snotty gyt...:tongue:

Thanks Glenn, I'm not one to hold a grudge either for your pic in the general forums :)

Seriously though with this kinda thread the thing that worries me is it's very easy to jump on the guy and give him hell but if he was lacking in confidence and thinking about getting someone to assist him on site then getting a load of flak is likely to reduce the possibility of this happening.

I agree with Voltz as well a spark is very likely given that the earth is functional as well as protective but the word 'bang' kinda suggests a more sinister problem.

Thanks Glenn, I'm not one to hold a grudge either for your pic in the general forums :)

Seriously though with this kinda thread the thing that worries me is it's very easy to jump on the guy and give him hell but if he was lacking in confidence and thinking about getting someone to assist him on site then getting a load of flak is likely to reduce the possibility of this happening.

I agree with Voltz as well a spark is very likely given that the earth is functional as well as protective but the word 'bang' kinda suggests a more sinister problem.

but then he just thought `f**k it`...i`ll just crack on anyway....

- - - Updated - - -

lol.....lol..

Hi all. Just went to a property where the water and taps were given a shock to the house occupiers. The boiler was cross bonded and had a bonding conductor run to the MET. But however surprisingly the property did not have the main earth. So I had connected a 16mm earth to the ccu and when I was connecting it to the met, it went bang when the 16mm came in contact with the met and let off a little spark. What could this be? The electric was on while I done it, the occupier a has relatives over so could not turn it off.

Erm.....you need to grow a pair and start putting the safety of your customers first.

ha, so she got relatives for dinner. how does she like them, fried or roasted?

A connection from the MET to the CU is ''NOT'' the main earth connection!!

But what test could I have done if the fault wasn't there at the time I was at the property. You could only test something when the fault is present. No safe isolation wasn't done it was only connecting a earth. We all do a quick fix on a Sunday evening it wasn't dangerous it's all in good working condition

How the hell would you know, if you didn't conduct any tests FFS??

Words just escape me on this one!!

I really can’t believe I’ve read this!

Marvo, regardless of the forums wish not to upset members, this guy is a liability!

I wouldn’t give a ---- if the Queen was guest of honour, disconnect until the fault is found.
I take it this fault is resent or have they had a pair of marigolds handing at the side of each tap since moving in.

On a practical note. Sounds like a N→E internal fault in conjunction with a high resistance supply neutral. I take it there’s a functional RCD? Maybe not given the OP’s response so far.

Marvo, regardless of the forums wish not to upset members, this guy is a liability!

I wouldn’t give a ---- if the Queen was guest of honour, disconnect until the fault is found.
I take it this fault is resent or have they had a pair of marigolds handing at the side of each tap since moving in.

On a practical note. Sounds like a N→E internal fault in conjunction with a high resistance supply neutral. I take it there’s a functional RCD? Maybe not given the OP’s response so far.

can be unreliable as well on N-E faults...

exactly my thoughts right down
to the queen

"So say all of us!" Lol there wasn't upstairs a room you couldnt get into? And motorbike outside and a BBC crew hiding in the cupboard?

I came across the same thing at one of my friends dads house, it had been like it for years he had just got used to getting a nice belt everytime he used the kitchen sink (112v if i remember correctly)! I started by isolating, testing Ze to confirm a earth was present at the property, r2 tests to bother bonding points, then IR tests to each circuit, turned out he had a N-E short, RCD faulty, traced it to an earth been used as a N at a double pole switch. I still don't fully understand how i corrected the fault as i was only a young nipper at the time and cant think back properly on what i did, however when i was finished i did a full set of tests to all circuits which were fine and the sink was no longer giving away free shocks!

Reply to Earth goes bang! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net