Search the forum,

Discuss Earth sleeving in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You normally make a good valid argument for your reasoning , but the bit about insulation breakdown seems too bizarre even for you.

Im going to get some big Klauke K28 crimpers when I can justify them so that I can crimp 16mm tri and twin ferrules in consumer units, I put nice ends on the end that goes into the earth and neutral but sometimes you find a board that's just got bare strands, most annoying!

so...if the cable is penetrated by screw..or nail...would this constitute a breakdown in insulation?

Yes is is would, but what about 3 core and earth? No protection there if it breaks down away from the CPC? What if it's not connected as a CPC surely that's even more dangerous if that's the purpose of it?

Yes is is would, but what about 3 core and earth? No protection there if it breaks down away from the CPC? What if it's not connected as a CPC surely that's even more dangerous if that's the purpose of it?
well last time i looked BS7671 stated that there has to be a means of earthing available at every point in an installation

It's not so much a feeling of intimidation I'm worried about, it's coming across as an idiot.

I shall have to repeat over and over and over and over in my head "don't swear, don't slander, don't swear, don't slander!" lol
Speak as you would to new potential client who lives in a 5 bed detatched, we all adopt a slightly 'posher' rapor in said situations, eh wot.
All this from earth sleeving!
Dont worry.........

i feel what your saying Dill...but i have given the reason why the CPC is uninsulated/unsleaved when forming part of a flat cable....

True, but doesn't mean that's always been the case with the regs when T&E has been around. How many times have you been to a job and the bare copper has been cut off.

I agree it can be utilised in the way you have said but wouldn't say that's why it is the reason it is made like that.

True, but doesn't mean that's always been the case with the regs when T&E has been around. How many times have you been to a job and the bare copper has been cut off.

I agree it can be utilised in the way you have said but wouldn't say that's why it is the reason it is made like that.
well...generally this is a sure sign a jobey has been in there before....and disconnected it caus there was a `fault`...

and some early PVC twin didn`t have a CPC running in it either...

still a lot of that about....

Very ture, we all have our theories/reasons why it's uninsulated, but I personally have not seen any literature from any cable manufacturer saying why it us so will always have my doubts as to why.

besides playing devils advocate is good.

you're both wrong. it's bare so you can use it for stripping.:toilet:

you're both wrong. it's bare so you can use it for stripping.:toilet:

I always thought it was like those pop bottles that you got refund on ?
And that shiny bit in the middle was a small reward every time you made an end off , that you could exchange for some pennies down the scrap yard !?

Yaaar Goerdie flat cap yer nowt ta wee Bonnee lad

If yes ganna taalk it at least gerrit reet ye Manc ----er.

The North East is well known and loved for the Geordie language and dialect which is sometimes indecipherable to Southern types.
Our popular sayings, words and phrases have been immortalised on TV programmes from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet in the 1980s to Hebburn now, and we asked Chronicle readers to share their favourites on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Have we missed any? Let us know in the comments at the bottom.
Before we start the list, a general key for pronouns, verbs and adverbs which are used in some of the examples but aren't good enough to make the list itself:

• Nee - no
  • Dee - do
  • Gan - go
  • Divvin' - don't
  • Doon - down
  • Toon - Newcastle city centre and Newcastle United FC
  • Propa - very, really or significantly
  • Owa - over
  • Neet - night
  • Us - me
1. Geordie saying: geet walla
Non Geordie translation: very, very large
Usage: "There's a geet walla queue at Asda, gan to Morrisons instead, marra (see 13)".
Other words meaning same thing: muckle, howfing (as in "howfing geet")
2. Geordie saying: gadgie
Non Geordie translation: man, adult male human
Usage: "See that gadgie at the front of the geet walla queue?"
Fact fans: This word was possibly derived from the Romani "gadje" meaning non-Roma or "gorgio" meaning fellow.
3. Geordie saying: radgie
Non Geordie translation: temper tantrum
Usage: "That gadgie's gannin' proper radgie, like."
4. Geordie saying: haddaway
(also "haddaway, man" and the coarser "haddaway and sh*te" made popular by Oz, Jimmy Nail'scharacter in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet)
Non Geordie translation: generic proclamation of negativity or disbelief
Usage: "Haddaway, man, there's nee way Suarez is signing for the Toon."
5. Geordie saying: howay man!
Non Geordie translation: generic proclamation of exhortation or encouragement, can be both positive and negative
Usage: "Howay man! We gannin' doon Morrisons to beat the queue?"
6. Geordie saying: wey aye, man!
Non Geordie translation: generic proclamation of positivity or agreement
Usage: anytime you want to agree with someone without resorting to a boring "yes"
7. Geordie saying: yem
Non Geordie translation: home
Usage: "This queue's got us proper radgie. I'm gan yem."
8. Geordie saying: purely belta, beltas
Non Geordie translation: generic proclamation of joy
Usage: "The Toon were purely belta on Saturday, like!"
9. Geordie saying: hinny
Non Geordie translation: wife, female companion or life partner
Usage: "Dee us some scran (see 12), hinny, I'm clamming (see 11)."
10. Geordie saying: hoy
Non Geordie translation: please pass or throw
Usage: "Hoy a hamma owa here, hinny."
11. Geordie saying: clamming
Non Geordie translation: starving, hungry or in desperate need of some service or experience
Usage: "Howay, man, hinny, I said I was clamming!"
12. Geordie saying: scran, bait
Non Geordie translation: food
Usage: "Where's me bait, hinny?"
13. Geordie saying: marra
Non Geordie translation: friend, colleague, workmate
Usage: "Howay, man, marra, let's gan doon the pub for some beltas scran."
14. Geordie saying: snout, tab
Non Geordie translation: cigarette
Usage: "Hoy us a snout, marra. I'm clamming."
15. Geordie saying: netty
Non Geordie translation: toilet facility
Usage: "Where's ya netty, marra? I'm clamming."
16. Geordie saying: canny
Non Geordie translation: good
Usage: "Canny netty, that, like."
17. Geordie saying: stott
Non Geordie translation: to throw and bounce an object off something
Not to be confused with stottie cake, a popular type of bread bun generally expected to bounce if dropped.
18. Geordie saying: dunch
Non Geordie translation: hit, like a car hitting the back of another
Usage: "I'm propa radgie. Some gadgie dunched me motor so I stotted a brick at his."
19. Geordie saying: spelk
Non Geordie translation: splinter of wood of the sort that gets stuck in a finger
Usage: "Hoy some tweezas owa here, hinny. I've got a spelk."
Fact fans: This word is possibly derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'spelc'.
20. Geordie saying: twock
Non Geordie translation: steal, take without owner's consent
Usage: "I cannit hoy ya tweezas, pet. Someone's twocked them."
21. Geordie saying: jabs or sand shoes
Non Geordie translation: gym shoes commonly word in school PE lessons
Usage: "Someone's twocked me jabs an' all (see 28), man!"
22. Geordie saying: gob
Non Geordie translation: mouth
Usage: "Divvin' shoot ya gob off man, ya jabs are owa here."
23. Geordie saying: bairn
Non Geordie translation: child
Usage: "The bairn needs new jabs for school, hinny."
25. Geordie saying: set-a-had
Non Geordie translation: to light on fire
Usage: "I'm ganna set-a-had to this shed if it gives us another spelk."
26. Geordie saying: hacky
Non Geordie translation: dirty, but can also mean very lazy when used to prefix lazy
Usage: "I was hacky lazy this morning, didn't get oot me scratcha (see 32) till gone 12."
27. Geordie saying: plodge
Non Geordie translation: to wade or splash
Usage: "Howay man, let's take the bairns plodging doon Cullercoats."
28. Geordie saying: an' all
Non Geordie translation: generic expression of emphasis, as well
Usage: see 21 above
29. Geordie saying: clarts or clarty
Non Geordie translation: wet and muddy
Fact fans: possibly derived from Middle English 'clart', found in the verb 'biclarten' which means "to cover or smear with dirt"
Usage: "The bairns are hacky off plodging through clarts."
30. Geordie saying: doylem
Non Geordie translation: idiot, fool or person generally challenged in the common sense department
Usage: "That gadgie's a propa doylem, man."
31. Geordie saying: micey
Non Geordie translation: a person showing signs of madness or mental instability
Usage: "He's not a doylem, marra, he's gannin' micey."
32. Geordie saying: scratcha
Non Geordie translation: bed
Usage: "I've had enough. I'm gan yem to me scratcha."
33. Monkey's blood
Non Geordie translation: the raspberry or strawberry flavour sauce used to garnish ice cream cones sold from a van ("cornets")
Usage: "Can I have monkey's blood on me cornet?"

Getting back to about the 13th point in the thread..... DS, what time and where on monday.........I want to watch or record .......and then congratulate or bo££ock. :21:

holy crap.this got a lot of replies overnight. although I suspect from reading a few they aren't all yo do with earth sleeving.
it seems to have gone off topic. Most unlike us here... :p

Back on topic "cut off a bout a foot of earth sleeving and chew it it's better then Wrigleys

sweaty socks taste better thasn wrigleys. disgusting stuff. YUK.

was going by the fact that sweaty socks smell sweeter than that foul gum.

Back on the original topic, if you don't like fiddling with earth sleeving, you could try moving to Australia / NZ, where the T+E has an insulated CPC. Search for 'flat TPS cable' for info & pics. I don't know what the standard (AS5000) requires but there seem to be examples with the cores in different positions, including line in the middle. Perhaps that's best way to ensure that anything penetrating the cable and hitting the line, also hits one of the others? You would have to be a crack shot with a No.8 screw just to hit the line.

Reply to Earth sleeving in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net