Discuss Economy 7 supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Empire

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just completed an EICR on a new (2017) conversion and noticed the E7 looked unusual.

Is this the norm now to connect E7 to the main board feed from the meter?

There is only 1 appliance in the flat requiring E7 and that's the tank with 2x immersion heaters. Both are connected to the same supply at the board.

Surely the main electrical supply doesn't now switch off overnight and E7 take over?

I've attached a pic but would appreciate your opinions.

6007e991-1e8c-4c1a-883b-ab709ae18385.JPG

I presume we're talking about the top meter only?
It's a dual rate meter and powers up L5 when off peak is available.
The devices requiring off peak electricity can be fed from a second CU (or space in the main CU, if big enough), fed from L5, or from the main board, using their own time switch.
It looks like the second option has been taken here. Disadvantage is that it requires the DNO off peak switching and the local timeswitch to be kept synchronised if full price operation of what should only be using off peak is to be avoided.

both meters are connected in the same way.

yes, I'd run a second supply from the meter to the E7 accessories but I've not seen both L4 & L5 joined together at the isolator before.

yes been inside isolator. I expected 1x L to be live and 1x L to be not. Both were live and assumed they were unexpectedly joined together to use the 1x L feed to the board and 'time share' its use. The client was sold the flat on the basis of it having an E7 connection.

So, I'm wrong about the isolator and the L's should be separated, then that means the E7 was on, perhaps permanently and not connected to anything.

Thanks, that's helped.

You need to check whether the meter says R1 or R2 at different times of the day.
L5 should only be live when R2 is displayed. L4 should be live all of the time.
Ideally, there should be a link between the two neutrals at the bottom of the isolator.

The installation gets full price and off peak electricity at the appropriate times of day (hopefully), depending on whether the display shows R1 or R2, but the installer chose to use a local timeswitch for the water heating, rather than the DNO switch.

Thanks all, this has been helpful.

The client told me the property had E7. After testing it looked like L4 & L5 were connected together, despite the separation at the isolator, because L5 was live during testing. As there is no onward connection from L5 I assumed (Wrongly) that some form of sharing was taking place with the onward L4 as I'd not seen an allegedly active E7 configuration like this before.

Client is not happy to be told there is no E7 connection to her flat :(.

What makes you think there isn't?
The definitive answer will be found on their electricity bill. If it shows R1 and R2 and they have different rates per kWhr, then they have E something, if not E7.
How did you test L5 was live?

What makes you think there isn't?
The definitive answer will be found on their electricity bill. If it shows R1 and R2 and they have different rates per kWhr, then they have E something, if not E7.
How did you test L5 was live?
Looking at this it is hard to tell and not the conventional way of economy 7 this seems like the DNO has connected the meter tails. I installed hundreds of heaters and on rare few occasions customer had issues with electric bills not being on dual tariff due to energy supplier mishaps. Easiest way to find out is get voltmeter readings at heater during peak hours which should be 0V unless they are the smart heaters which operate on peak and off peak the off peak should not have voltage untill off peak is operational usually 00:00-07:00 although they do vary ask your supplier for accurate times

Some off peak tariffs are not restricted to the usual after midnight time slots. Perhaps you tested the L5 (which would normally be labelled L2) at a time when the off peak was switched on?

Some off peak tariffs are not restricted to the usual after midnight time slots. Perhaps you tested the L5 (which would normally be labelled L2) at a time when the off peak was switched on?
Yes good point there, dual tariff electric is a minefield and from my experience even the energy suppliers are not too clued up I learnt on the job and spent countless hours fault finding so many different set ups and permutations just got to work through it methodically

L4 is normal rate, L5 is off peak. It may be like this so that a second board for heaters would come from L5, but in this instance, it’s linked to L4 on customer side, meaning the whole house will run on L5 during off peak hours.

The will connect the tails like this to all dual rate meters make them all the same, just for ease.
wont always know how the customer equipment is configured.

Reply to Economy 7 supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net