Discuss EICR For Domestic Premises in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, Hopefully you can shed a little light on this subject.

Recently Self Employed spark and have been approached by somebody with a few properties he rents out.
He wants me to do a condition report, which i am more the confident and competent to do so. I am a time served electrician (C&G 2330/NVQ L3/AM2) I was doing quite a bit of testing with my previous company.

I just wondered if you had to be Part P to certificate a domestic property ( Even Though i havent done any work there and providing the installation is of sound construction)

I didnt want to fork out on joining a relevant scheme not knowing how much domestic work i was going to undertake.

Thanks a lot.

If you are doing an EICR, you are not "certifying" anything, you are issuing a "condition report". You just need to be competent, for example by having C&G 2391, or 2395.

There is no requirement to be a member of a scheme to undertake EICR's, however competence, PL and PI ins are recommended.

When you want to do notifiable work then scheme membership makes sense.

Just be aware that EICR reports are the new PAT - ie the big race to the bottom and drive by tests rule OK!

You would do well to find out who your customer intends renting his property to.
If it's the local Council, then you may have to join a scheme before they will accept them.

You would do well to find out who your customer intends renting his property to.
If it's the local Council, then you may have to join a scheme before they will accept them.

What a bloody cock up this domestic scam provider system has created!! A fully qualified time served electricians qualifications are no longer valid as being competent, but a bloke that has done a 17 day course a few months ago, and coughed up 500 notes IS deemed competent!!

The UK's got to be the laughing stock of Europe, come to that the bloody world!!

Most councils now seem to be insisting on scheme membership before accepting EICR's ---- presumably to offer them some butt coverage!.

I believe the schemes themselves have also (or are intending to) introduced a scheme within their schemes covering inspections. Setting the bar higher to join this by requiring 2391 and a few other bits before they will grant you an inspection 'ticket'!! (I suspect this costs you more money)

Still doesn't stop any "tom, dick and harry" doing inspections but it would be interesting to see the outcome should anything ever come of an inspection thats gone wrong and they didnt have the scheme inspection 'ticket' ........

Most councils now seem to be insisting on scheme membership before accepting EICR's ---- presumably to offer them some butt coverage!.

I believe the schemes themselves have also (or are intending to) introduced a scheme within their schemes covering inspections. Setting the bar higher to join this by requiring 2391 and a few other bits before they will grant you an inspection 'ticket'!! (I suspect this costs you more money)

Still doesn't stop any "tom, dick and harry" doing inspections but it would be interesting to see the outcome should anything ever come of an inspection thats gone wrong and they didnt have the scheme inspection 'ticket' ........

Why, do you actually think the Scheme provider will help if it were You?? Nope, at worst you'll be charged with negligence and dealt with the same as any other qualified electrician, or Electrical Trainee come to that!! lol!!

Why, do you actually think the Scheme provider will help if it were You?? Nope, at worst you'll be charged with negligence and dealt with the same as any other qualified electrician, or Electrical Trainee come to that!! lol!!

No, I was think more along the lines of if you weren't in their scheme and something went wrong and they were called to give evidence as an 'authorative' body in the electrical industry (e.g. NECIEC). I reckon they would go for the jugular more so than if you were in their scheme .....

My experience with my local Council, is that they will not accept a 9 page EICR from someone not a member of one of the schemes.
However they will accept a Visual Inspection report from a scheme member.

Which is what i've been saying, that time served fully qualified electricians qualifications has been nullified as meaning next to sod all, in favour of backdoor chancers without a meaningful qualification to their name, .....That and a 500 quid donation to a Scam of course!!

An absolutely ludicrous state of affairs!!

Reply to EICR For Domestic Premises in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net