Discuss EICR minimum for rental properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just a quick one

I have done many EICR tests with the latest legislation regarding rentals BUT I have had a few phone calls from estate agents/landlords asking me to look at a certificate they have...

Many a time they are 2/3 pages with next to no info

One just now is 2 pages with no schedule of inspections or schedule of results... looks like a waste of paper to me

Now I know I can't specifically do anything but my advise to the letting agent is to get it done properly because IMO that isn't a certificate and with them being responsible they need to cover their behinds

Am I right in saying this? I'm sure the blank certificates in the regs are the minimum information required on a certificate

Ill add photos. I hope it works (there's should be 2 attached)EICR minimum for rental properties 20210126_140713 - EletriciansForums.net

ThanksEICR minimum for rental properties 20210126_140642 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• EICR minimum for rental properties 20210126_140713 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210126_140713.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
I never use the supplied observation space as there is not enough room to fully explain in simple terms.
dispite this I never leave it blank. I write across the space please refer to page ???.

if ever there was nothing to report ( however unlikely) I would state that the instal is fully compliant in the observation page. although it’s never happened.

what is that under agreed limitations “Ebbal”. .?

I never use the supplied observation space as there is not enough room to fully explain in simple terms.
dispite this I never leave it blank. I write across the space please refer to page ???.

if ever there was nothing to report ( however unlikely) I would state that the instal is fully compliant in the observation page. although it’s never happened.

When I first looked I thought it said EBADS not sure but firstly it's in the wrong section and secondly its now ADS. These EICRs are just getting worse they used to at least look like someone had actually been to site wrote the DB schedule and then made up the results, now they look like they been wrote out by someone who does not have the first clue about electrics .

At some point some tennnant somewhere will be killed because of an electrical fault. The court will look into things and the satisfactory EICR will be shown by the landlord/agent. An expert witness will be called who will rip the said EICR to pieces, and the 'electrician' who produced it will end up in prison.

Only a matter of time, but it will happen somewhere.

Not quite sure but it was agreed with the landlord ?

Thanks everyone I was 99.99999% sure I was right in telling the agent that it was invalid. He is actually in agreement with me. Just another landlord trying to cut corners to penny pinch

May be a landlord who isn't fully aware of what constitutes an EICR. If an electrician hands him a completed report, he should be able to trust that it is suitable.

EICRs run to 4 or 5 pages or more and every little tick box must have something in it, (even if it’s N/A)

There sometimes even a page number at the bottom to tell you how many pages there’s should be.

Those examples are just plain lazy.

The best I had was an ETCI Periodic Inspection Report from a letting agent for a BS7671 installation. It erroneously declared that aspects of ET101 had been complied with which weren't applicable to BS7671. I doubt anyone had attended the property. I inspected it "again".

At some point some tennnant somewhere will be killed because of an electrical fault. The court will look into things and the satisfactory EICR will be shown by the landlord/agent. An expert witness will be called who will rip the said EICR to pieces, and the 'electrician' who produced it will end up in prison.

Only a matter of time, but it will happen somewhere.
If an electrician registered his reports with his registration organisation and they accept it , sell him insurance etc. What’s he done wrong. Seen to many with” lim and N/“

If an electrician registered his reports with his registration organisation and they accept it , sell him insurance etc. What’s he done wrong. Seen to many with” lim and N/“

If you think the judge will accept that and absolve you of your responsibilities as an electrician then you are very optimistic!!

What’s he done wrong. Seen to many with” lim and N/“
As @DPG points out, a judge at some fatal accident inquiry would expect them to be able to justify their report and that it was in line with accepted professional "best practice".

Having agreed limitations on the report is fine if they are "reasonable", that is aspects that most professionals would agree are not practical to inspect and that there were no reasons to expect them to present a danger at the time.

To simply not do any testing, or to have omitted the results, falls very short of professional standards and the requirements for inspection and test in the regs.

You don't register your Reports to your registered scheme, nine times out of ten or more, they won't even see them.

• Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the 'Wiring Regulations', which are published as British Standard 7671.
  • Ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at least every 5 years.
  • Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.
  • Supply a copy of this report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.
  • Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
  • Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
spent good part of last year doing remedials. Believe most testers need more guidance and time. As for their competance would quite happy stand in court and say that standard work I see , has wrong or no paperwork, that fire Regs and Health and safety are not real . Going on other sparks web pages shows that most cannot choose between TN-S and TN-CS. With regular comments on the blogs from DNO workers as well , it seems past practices have made it a lottery.
As for those testing,the guidance still seems sort of standards and common sense.
so local planning are not regulators, and competent pers

• Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the 'Wiring Regulations', which are published as British Standard 7671.
  • Ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at least every 5 years.
  • Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.
  • Supply a copy of this report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.
  • Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
  • Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
spent good part of last year doing remedials. Believe most testers need more guidance and time. As for their competance would quite happy stand in court and say that standard work I see , has wrong or no paperwork, that fire Regs and Health and safety are not real . Going on other sparks web pages shows that most cannot choose between TN-S and TN-CS. With regular comments on the blogs from DNO workers as well , it seems past practices have made it a lottery.
As for those testing,the guidance still seems sort of standards and common sense.
so local planning are not regulators, and competent pers
Not sure what that has to do with my post.

Reply to EICR minimum for rental properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock