Discuss Electric door lock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

You will not need a battery back-up if you are going to use power-to-lock bolt, as you mentioned in your original post. If there is a power failure the doors will open. Safety first. Oxo does mention a good point You will have to use a emergency switch inside to cut the power to the doors. The switch you was going to use originally on the outside will also be your switch to cut the power from outside the room.

Oxo I'd prefer not to have the battery back-up but most of these locks are high security panic locks in banks and jewellers so they come pre-built with battery back-up. So an intruder can't just cut the power to open

Look at using maglocks rather than the bolt - the solenoid bolt is usually fail-secure (or has battery backup) rather than fail-safe. The maglocks release if power is lost.

Another option, turning it around a bit, would be to use two DC (quiet) door strikes with normal latches (and handles to turn from the inside) and have the doors permenantly 'locked' by the strike with a push button on the outside to get INTO the room and a switch on the inside that can disable the push buttons ...

No safety implications to get out either, just turn the handle ... downside would of course be if someone forgot to switch the buttons back on ;)

Another option, turning it around a bit, would be to use two DC (quiet) door strikes with normal latches (and handles to turn from the inside) and have the doors permenantly 'locked' by the strike with a push button on the outside to get INTO the room and a switch on the inside that can disable the push buttons ...

Good idea rmck, but why do you need a switch on the inside when you can just use the handle.
You can buy 24v touch switches with timers to use instead of the pushbuttons. Pushbuttons would be cheaper though.

The Maglocks do sound like a better solution, although again I've only seen quite large industrial ones, think the smallest I've seen is on a fire door realease.
I have a hunt now but do you know if they come small enough to recess into the frame rather than being surface fitted?

Oxo I'd prefer not to have the battery back-up but most of these locks are high security panic locks in banks and jewellers so they come pre-built with battery back-up. So an intruder can't just cut the power to open

I know but you're talking about a Karzi, and the kids lives are more valuable than money or jewels.

You seem to be thinking of 'Maglocks' thats a very expensive and unnecessary solution.

I'm sure I've done this before, the door handle on the outside is the standard wc type, the type that release from outside with a screwdriver, there is no internal door handle connected to the lock. The lock has to be a mortice type that is always in the locked position. You then need an electric keep the type that when switched off pushing or pulling against the keep opens/closes the door. When energised the keep is fixed and the doors can't be opened. The switching inside the room as per normal 2 way using standard 2 way switches.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way i can see, is to used din rail 12v psu (no Backup), 12v electric door latch, mk dual grid switch with 1 em key switch, and push switch.
on each door remove external bar on door handle, therefore you can only open door from inside bathroom. outside each door, push switch to gain entry, on turning light on relay o/c both push switches, on turning off light doors active again, em switch on both door, releases both latches.

Why not put a microswitch in the catch well of each door manual lock. Wire each microswitch in parallel. Each door also has a maglock. If someone goes in and locks the door, the maglock on the other door also engages, all at the same time. That way you don't need to worry about light being on (if the toilet has natural light during the day) or people delaying between turning the light off and exiting.
Of course, where this falls down is if they then want to exit via the other door. Interesting problem tho...

Reply to Electric door lock in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net