Discuss Electrical completion certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

anothervisitor

Ok, as a side step to my lift installation, I was just wondering what happens thesedays?

When I use to re-wire homes;

1, Call electricity board (East midlands electricity)
They came along and broke the seal on the 100A fuse

You could then remove the fuse when needed.

2, Old tails from meter were joined to new tails with a large chocolate block :)-

The test certificate, although had nice boxes to fill in, you wrote across them with "10 X 13A sockets" and "8 X 5A lights" etc :) perhaps the odd "fridge freezer socket"> Not on RCD

I made a fortune fitting ELCB's and even more taking them all out and fitting RCD's :)-

3, Then you handed that paperwork in, and E.M.E would come out and do a quick test with 500V and connect up the new tails, and finally re-seal the 100A fuse

This was free, but any fault found means you had to pay for a re-test

I sometimes broke the seal myself :) and they would write to me and warn me not to do it again, and again :)-

I noted that new work I had done, S.W.A was fitted because there was an existing shower, and with another fitted would exceed the existing 16MM running from outside to inside consumer box. I also noted that the electrician must have handled live cables, he fitted a new mains switch outside with a breaker, no seals disturbed.

So whats done these days.. well what suppose to be done these days

Last edited by a moderator:
What you should do now is arrange for the customer to contact their supplier to contact the area DNO to arrange an appointment for them to come out and temporarily remove the fuse for you to complete your work, once the work is completed then the power will be restored and you can complete your testing. This should not cost.
Depending on who comes out you may need a test sheet of dead tests and inspections or you may not.
Ideally you fit an isolator when they arrive to remove the fuse, you connect the isolator and they put the fuse back.

It has been known (!:nono:) for electricians to "occasionally" remove the seals (illegally, although seals do seem to fall off very often:eek:!) remove the fuse and then reseal with their own seals afterwards.

Live working would be foolish and in contravention of the EAWR.

Reply to Electrical completion certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net