Discuss Electrical connection & cable for replacement oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shring

DIY
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. My first post here, having read a similar thread, I understand that following the manufacturers guidance is all important. So, if anyone could help please, here's my question :

I am replacing a single fan oven currently connected using a 13A plug into a socket which is connected to the cooker outlet using 2.5mm T&E. That cooker circuit is in 6mm T&E from a dedicated MCB in an 18th Edition twin RCD board, which has recently been tested and certified.

I have a new Zanussi zob25702xa single oven to install and it does not come with a plug or cable.

The Zanussi user manual is here : Electric Oven - ZOB25702XA | Zanussi - https://www.zanussi.co.uk/kitchen/cooking/ovens/oven/zob25702xa/

The Electrical Connection on page 4 is confusing to me. It states :

*** Start of manual extract

This appliance is supplied without a main plug and a main cable.
For the section of the cable refer to the total power on the rating plate.

You can also refer to the table:

Total power (W) Section of the cable(mm²)

maximum 1380 3 x 0.75
maximum 2300 3 x 1
maximum 3680 3 x 1.5

The earth cord (green / yellow cable) must be 2 cm longer than phase and neutral cables (blue and brown cables).

Cable types applicable for installation or replacement for UK only

Connection via Min. size cable / flex Cable / flex type /

Fuse Oven Control Circuit 2,5 mm² PVC / PVC twin and earth /15 A min.
PVC / PVC twin and earth / 20 A max.

UK and Ireland only. This appliance is fitted with a13 A mains plug. If it is necessary to change the mains plug fuse, use only a 13A ASTA (BS 1362) fuse. Minimum size cable / flex: 1,5 mm² .

*** End of manual extract

The rating plate on the oven states 2790W maximum power.

I make that just under 13A ( using 220v )

If you were installing this oven, how would you connect it ? On a plug or hard wired ? What size cable ?

Thank you.

hard wire from CCU in 6.0mm cable. either T/E or heat resistanft flex.

you could get away with 2.5mm but hard wired is the way to go. why funny? been done in 6mm for donkeys years.

1.5mm heat resistant flex is more than adequate for 2.79kW. And is what is stated in the manual.

The problem you may face is in connecting it to the cooker outlet plate.

@loz2754 - Thanks.

The manual also states 2.5mm PVC 15A - 20A - hence my question.

1.5mm heat resistant flex can also use a 13A plug surely ?

Which again contradicts the 2.5mm recommendation for the UK.

I would avoid using a 13A plug and socket for any fixed appliance where its total load comes anywhere close to 13A for any period of time. A 13A plug and socket will show signs of thermal stress after a year or so if used at anywhere near 13A.

I'm confused as the manual extract seems to suggest that it comes with a 13A plug for UK and Eire! Either way it doesn't seem that yours hasn't come with a plug.

If it were me I'd change the existing 13A socket for a 20A flex outlet plate, hardwire from flex outlet to oven in 1.5mm HR flex, and downgrade the likely 32A or 40A MCB in the CU to a 16A.

Reply to Electrical connection & cable for replacement oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net