Discuss Electrical noises at night... Help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marek Whitby

Hey all
In advance, any help is much appreciated!

So a while ago, some thieves stole electrical wiring from the nearby electrical box, and caused issues/ shorts etc to all the houses nearby.

Now for the past 2 months, at 10pm all the electrical devices, computer, tv.. in the house including most lights (not lamps though) make a strange buzzing, electrical noise, kinda scary. It forces me to turn my computer off because it is defiantly not right, and i do not want it to cause problems or damage my PC.
The time it starts is now getting sooner... It now starts at 9am. ( i could just about cope turning my PC off at 10pm, and waking up super early as its stops around 6am to work) But this cant go on especially if it is getting earlier, and cannot be good and im worried that it could be hazard etc.

We would call in an electrician... but of course, what electrician is going to come to our house at 10pm at night.
Its hard enough to get an electrician where we live, let alone at 10pm...

What should i do?

Thanks
Marek

Well first of all I would go to a customers house at whatever time was convenient for the customer but secondly an electrician could come in the daytime and carry out some tests to see if he can find any problems.
Post up your location and maybe a member is close to you.

Have you spoken to your neighbours to find if they're having similar issues?

I'd suggest you get an experienced electrician in to check your installation and there's certain tests he can do on the incoming supply as well. Once you've ruled out it being a problem within your premises he should be able to contact the DNO and request they investigate if necessary.

Is it a coincidence that the buzzing starts relative to dusk .... maybe a nearby streetlight or any other outside light is buzzing when it switches on and its resonating around the house and been hard to pinpoint the source.

I think it must have been a poltergeist and it has sucked him in to the Tv, where he is now trapped for all eternity or he just can't be bothered to reply.

You should have said where you are im sure some one on here would have popped round I would if you were close enough needs an electricians investigation could be anything

Reply to Electrical noises at night... Help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net