Discuss Electrical testing - Can anyone answer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyhalf

Hi, I have long been perplexed by something regarding testing and would love to hear others thoughts.

When we go up against the larger testing companies for quotes on condition reports and the old Periodic it seems they have unfeasably cheap rates per circuit given the number of tests per circuit(ring or otherwise). i struggle to see how it can pay without corners being cut.

I suspect it is a case of shaving the works down to the absolute bare minimum legal requirement.
I have also had some companies say they do Thermal imaging and therefore don't need to do so many tests. We use thermal imaging but have failed to have NICEIC or anyone explain how that can be the case.

They do the test whilst sitting in the van/car/office, called drive by testing

Stick to your guns mate. We have the same problem, large companies and landlords wanting inspection and testing done but only prepared to pay chump change for it. We're just honest with them and say that we are expensive compared to those who cut corners and issue worthless pieces of paper, but with us you can be assured of a proper job, carried out without bias (not coding things just to get remedial work for example).

You'd be surprised, we pick up work because some people just appreciate the honesty. The fact is, we will never issue £50 EICRs or work to £10 per circuit. We will always carry out surveys on larger installations, seperately priced, prior to any testing being carried out. If all the customer wants is a drive by report and a piece of paper, then we're not for them.

Damien is spot on with his reply, there is a big difference between a cheap test and a correct test.
I can always tell when a company or solo tester knows his stuff, because he doesn't end up creating ridiculous code's and remdial work.
A good quality inspector can usually test an installation correctly and without ripping it all out and starting again, which In my opinion is what inexperienced guys do, purely because they don't know what they are doing.

Its one of them a recent post i put up about a girl getting a shock in a shower , the installation was tested after the the cladding was done, if she was killed and could easily have been , I bet they would have wished they had tested it correctly , they may well as she is suing her ex land lord

I guess the larger companies can afford to make only a small profit from every job but when you add up all those little bits of profit it can lead to a sustainable working company. Their yearly profit probably is not that high considering being a large company but it keeps people employed. My dad was a butcher, a friend owns a restaurant and their idea was to sell high volume but cheap, and it works.
Regarding the thermal imaging it has some thing to do with the H&S 1974 or electricity at work act I thinks?????where by employers getting thermal imagine done, then either satisfies their insurance company or proves they are taking reasonable steps in looking after the electrical installation. Although I do disagree with the latter theory because so many things will not get inspected.

Reply to Electrical testing - Can anyone answer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net