Search the forum,

Discuss electrical wiring help - thanks :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electri

sorry for the noobness!

please look at pic below:

20121219_165758.jpg

basically we bought a new chandelier type of light and cant see where I am going wrong, I've got it to light up just it doesnt work with the switch to turn it off,

any help highly appreciated, sorry if its a nooob question just want to do it myself

the earth wire was plugged in BTW

thanks
O

Two reds should be together and one of the blacks is the switch line (live)

You will need to find which one is the switch by using a continuity tester

- - - Updated - - -

If your not sure
Call a sparks !

im not aware of a continuity tester is there anyway I can make this work without one?

- - - Updated - - -

i know mate just want to get it done myself and learn how to :)

so if I put the two top reds together, what will I need to change next? many thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is the classic switch wire and neutral being joined together lmao

i know mate its noob any chance you could help me :(

the 2 reds go together and the 2 blacks connect across the the chandalier, trouble is you need to know which one of the blacks is live, especially if edison lamps are used, ouch

One of those reds will be permanently live, the other one should be joined to it. The black that belongs with the red that isn't permanently live comes from the switch with the switched live, the other black is your neutral. Be Aware though that if you touch something that you shouldn't it could easily kill you, that's right you could be dead in time for Christmas. Get someone in to do it for you please

ok so at the top: two reds go together, followed by the earth being in the second slot, and then followed by the blacks being put in the last two slots separatley,

underneath, my red/brown goes to the first slot in the left, followed by earth, followed by my blue wire???

ive had the light swich on when turning the mains on, but the switch doesnt work so I cant switch off

many thanks mate

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live. then again there is a possibility that is 2 switch wires and 2 neutrals and there is another light in the room which switches with it, if so call a spark to ensure safety, a 2 min job for a spark.

One of those reds will be permanently live, the other one should be joined to it. The black that belongs with the red that isn't permanently live comes from the switch with the switched live, the other black is your neutral. Be Aware though that if you touch something that you shouldn't it could easily kill you, that's right you could be dead in time for Christmas. Get someone in to do it for you please

ok mate I get it but im turning the mains off and testing the wires for electricity before touching them many thanks for the heads up, however what Im trying to figure out is where ive gone wrong in terms of putting the wires in, I can get it to light up when turning the mains on just cant get it to switch off via the wall switch

many thanks

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live.

ok so on the left i will have the first slot with the two reds going into one right?

this leaves me with the blacks./???

this doesn't look like a switched L being in the N, or else the MCB would trip when the switch was made. honestly, for what it will cost, get a sparks in.

edit: which newcastle are you at? there's staffordshire newcastle, south wales newcastle, and if i remenber correctly, there's another one somewhere in the frozen land of the picts.

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live. then again there is a possibility that is 2 switch wires and 2 neutrals and there is another light in the room which switches with it, if so call a spark to ensure safety, a 2 min job for a spark.

see all of my above post

this doesn't look like a switched L being in the N, or else the MCB would trip when the switch was made. honestly, for what it will cost, get a sparks in.

edit: which newcastle are you at? there's staffordshire newcastle, south wales newcastle, and if i remenber correctly, there's another one somewhere in the frozen land of the picts.

the one and only newcastle which is in the tyne and wear, first time Ive been asked this question :/ - dont u wantch football?

ok mate I cant understand it still sorry,

would you be able to tell me in this format, this is how it is at the moment from the pic:

[R] [R] [E] [BB]
[E] [EMPTY ]

how should it be?

really appreciate it sorry again for the nooobness

Talk about brassneck.

Would you expect your local garage to tell you how to repair you're car?

ok mate I undertand you dont want to sell your trade and would rather have me phone someone BUT i want to do it for myself so when im in my new flat that Ive bought i can do it myself thats all noting complicated ...

Ive said all I can TBH, there is 2 wiring possibilities, either 2 feeds and a switch wire and neutral (both black) or 2 switchwires (red) and 2 neutrals (black) I cannot say anymore really, you need to get a spark in, sorry but it's too risky to confirm which of the 2 methods you have there.

It's not complicated but you don't have a clue?

ffs, get someone in before you kill yourself!

ok mate I undertand you dont want to sell your trade and would rather have me phone someone BUT i want to do it for myself so when im in my new flat that Ive bought i can do it myself thats all noting complicated ...

right ok here we go,

if you look at your light switch you should just see a live/red, switch live/back and earth

and at your light

you put the red red together, one black join to blue and other join to the brown, less your light is a screw lamp one it do not matter which black is switchlive and neutral

what if the light are fed from the switches or even a jb haha, and there maybe 2 lights in the room though John, the 2 reds could be switchwires and the 2 blacks lives, a possibility really yes?

hahaha! this is like monty python's holy grail.......

you stay here and make sure he doesn't leave the room....

right. so we're coming with you...?

Geordie, you could be racking up the post count with this thread! :)

Well the truth is I typed quite a long post telling exactly how to do this, and by the time I had done it & posted it some of the other lads had beaten me to it & I realised that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to be so free with my info, so deleted it on the grounds of the OP's Health & safety.

However, I agree - it has helped me towards the exclusive (elusive?) 3,000+ club and so has this post so every cloud etc. :)

Well the truth is I typed quite a long post telling exactly how to do this, and by the time I had done it & posted it some of the other lads had beaten me to it & I realised that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to be so free with my info, so deleted it on the grounds of the OP's Health & safety.

However, I agree - it has helped me towards the exclusive (elusive?) 3,000+ club and so has this post so every cloud etc. :)

mate I was reading what u put up why do people on here think I am an idiot saying I could die you guys know as long as I switch the mains off and thest the electricity then Im fine with trying to figure out which ways the wires went, Grordie u put up a good post was reading but pressed refresh and was gone... argggggggg

sorry for the noobness!

please look at pic below:

20121219_165758.jpg

basically we bought a new chandelier type of light and cant see where I am going wrong, I've got it to light up just it doesnt work with the switch to turn it off,

any help highly appreciated, sorry if its a nooob question just want to do it myself

the earth wire was plugged in BTW

thanks
O

Did you take a note of how the previous one was connected? This would have helped you out loads!

mate I was reading what u put up why do people on here think I am an idiot saying I could die you guys know as long as I switch the mains off and thest the electricity then Im fine with trying to figure out which ways the wires went, Grordie u put up a good post was reading but pressed refresh and was gone... argggggggg

The problem is without any test equipment the only way you have to identify which wire is which involves working live which is dangerous and illegal, but is something that I know how to do and have done.

What I posted was instructions on how to do that, but then I got cold feet in case you got hurt - or worse - so near to Christmas.

What are you testing for voltage with?

Lick ure index finger and place it on the..............yellow pages!!!!

Yes, thats fair enough, but then you turn the power back on and it could trip out, and then uve spent more time fannying around when you coulda probs got a sparks to do it in 10mins for 20ish quid

ok Ill tell you what, I will check youtube and a few other sources and then get back to you guys and if I fail I fail and you are all right because you think I need to call a spark but I dont think anyone here could read what I needed....

explaining it as something complex but lets see if I can manage it without this forum

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to turn off the lights as you leave :D

ok I understand this forum now, clever people ;)

backed up by health and safety

ok Ill tell you what, I will check youtube and a few other sources and then get back to you guys and if I fail I fail and you are all right because you think I need to call a spark but I dont think anyone here could read what I needed....

explaining it as something complex but lets see if I can manage it without this forum

- - - Updated - - -

So somebody who disconnects something electrical in their home isn't happy when they are met with sarcastic responses. I see you ignored my response.

Good luck else where, this is a site for sparkies, its not DIY NOT for idiots.

i'm sorry, but if you didn't note how it was connected before, how the hell do you expect us to know? get a SPArk in. he/she will be able to identify what is what and fix it up safely, all for £40 or less.

What are you testing for voltage with?

This may be the 2nd thread in a week with a blown up neon screwdriver loool.

The trouble is electri there is more than 1 combination that could be possible from your photograph and without actually being there and testing the wiring and determining the method in use(30 second job with voltage meter for an electrician), we could be offering advice that could offer the real chance of you getting hurt.

It's like trying to smell a picture of a flower if you know what I mean..............

i have pics of exactly how it was connected before

if u want to be sarcastic thats fine however I still believe that one could try to make himself look like something special when I personally think this can be easy if someone wanted to expalin,

got results on youtube already will post tonight becuase Im not letting thisone go,

on way to doing it, for all those who think its life and death please dont make me laugh.....

- - - Updated - - -

This may be the 2nd thread in a week with a blown up neon screwdriver loool.

The trouble is electri there is more than 1 combination that could be possible from your photograph and without actually being there and testing the wiring and determining the method in use(30 second job with voltage meter for an electrician), we could be offering advice that could offer the real chance of you getting hurt.

It's like trying to smell a picture of a flower if you know what I mean..............

its fine read above, I think I solved it :)

Oh yes, I spend nearly 500 a year to be in 2 H&E organisations and have regular tool box talks with my advisor and we have a H&E manual and do risk assessments for every job, we take H&E and the safety of the public very seriously :wink_smile:

- - - Updated - - -

LOL! Buddy, its not that....if you read everything carefully, instead of getting upset with the tough love you recieved you would understand.

There is more than one way of wiring a light fitting.

We don't think you need to call a spark, we know. You obviouslly have very little understanding, so getting a proper spark in would do the job correctly and safely.

Do what you've gotta do though, if it goes wrong, don't say we didn't tell you so.

If you need some other sources, try the building and plumbing forums - them guys are up to scratch with electrics - probably more than us actually, so yeah - you're in the wrong place.

[=electri;670151QUOTE]i have pics of exactly how it was connected before

so why did you not post the before pic so we could advise properly?

i have pics of exactly how it was connected before

if u want to be sarcastic thats fine however I still believe that one could try to make himself look like something special when I personally think this can be easy if someone wanted to expalin,

got results on youtube already will post tonight becuase Im not letting thisone go,

on way to doing it, for all those who think its life and death please dont make me laugh.....

- - - Updated - - -

its fine read above, I think I solved it :)

That is probably the worst comment ive ever seen on this forum to date.

Reply to electrical wiring help - thanks :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net